The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Not the biggest buck I have ever shot, but he will do for the last day I can hunt this year. Short story: Was set up in a creek bottom, he came from behind, I grunted him into range.

Bowtech Admiral, Grim Reaper Broadhead
25 yard shot
55-60 yard recover
5 Point(Yes - HPA Police - the fifth point is 1-1/4" long)

Longer story: I have see quite a few bucks this year. I passed on a 5 point on the first day and a half rack 8 point. I took off all last week to hunt. I hunted at camp (Snyder Co. Bald Eagle SF) on Saturday and Monday. Didn’t see a deer and decided to come home Monday night. On Tuesday, I saw 9 does. Wednesday I saw 5 does and I had a Y-buck in range in the morning and a small 6 point in range in the evening. Thursday, at last light, a small buck and a 6 point came into the field, but wouldn’t respond to a grunt call. Friday evening I grunted a spike and Y buck in to within 15 yards. Around 430 a big 8 point came walking by at around 55 yards. I snort wheezed and grunted at him, but he didn’t care. About 10 minutes later, another nice 8 point came by on the same trail. I snort wheezed and grunted at him, but he didn’t care either.

On Friday night, Double Lung told me he found a nice spot I should hang a stand. So once it was dark, we snuck in and hung my Lone Wolf. I was settled in the stand by 520. A deer came behind me before it was light and a small doe came by at first light. Around 7 this buck came by, after a couple grunts he came in on a string. I trigger finger was itchy, and I couldn’t resist. I held my pin for 25 yards and let one go. The arrow hardly any penetration, but I still felt good about the shot. We gave him and hour and went looking. I found my arrow after about 20 yards, and the blood trail went dry. I was getting worried at that point, thought I may have caught the shoulder. I walked in a straight line and found him in about another 35 yards. Upon investigation, if appears only 2 of the 3 blades deployed on my Grim Reaper. The shot placement near was perfect, taking out both lungs and hitting the opposite shoulder. I was impressed with the Grim Reapers with the doe I took earlier this year, but after this, I have decided to go back to Slick Tricks.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Congrats!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts