The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Off of a rest or freehand? I would guess off of a bench you could get somewhere around 3 - 4 inches. A good load will shoot somewhere under 2 inches. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
357shuter said:
What groups should i expect to get at 25 yard with an sp101 3"
JMO
Your 3" Ruger was intended for self defense and close range , 25 yds is on the outer limits of its capability , try groups at 7 , 10 and 15 yds that is what it was designed for.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I tried working up 38 Spec. target loads for my 2" SP, and was getting 3-4 at best. The sites and sighting radius aren't conducive to great accuracy. If you access to a Ransom Rest, you can remove the human error. Having a good smith touch up the trigger will help too. I imagine 357 would have worse groups as the recoil is stout to say the least.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In my hands. . . not a very good group at all. In an olympic class shooter . . . much better. that gun was not made for 25 yard shooting. It is kind of like asking a how your kia will do on a grand prix course.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Glad to hear its not just me.Other than the fact that the ruger is a lttle easier to conceal,and has five quick rounds,I am way more accurate with my bow!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I believe the average self-defense distance has been found to be 7 ft. IIRC. Don't need target accuracy for that. A trigger job would probably help a bunch on that gun - mine needs one too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts