The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys shot or owned both of these guns?I was thinking about a new O/U and would love to stay with the American made Ruger unless there was a "big" difference!Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Check and see what O/U most skeet and Sporting Clays shooters use That should answer your question.
If you want to help the economy Vote in Nov
Smage

·
Registered
151 Posts
I own a Ruger Red Label and a Browning 525 Citori. Never shot a Cynergy. I like both guns, the Ruger has a lower profile receiver than the Citori, however the Cynergy has a pretty low profile.
The Ruger fits me well, as does the Browning. I would definitely suggest handling and or shooting both of them you are considering if possible, see which fits you the best. In shotguns fit is everything, as your eye is the rear sight.
I will say Rugers cutomer service is legendary, Brownings leaves something to be desired.
Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Fit especially, and feel is most important. If it fits you'll shoot better. On quality, nothing against the Ruger, but of the 2 I'd pick the Browning hands down. To me the Ruger felt like a pipe attached to a 2X4. My preference in an O/U is Beretta, again because they fit me better.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
Fit especially, and feel is most important. If it fits you'll shoot better. On quality, nothing against the Ruger, but of the 2 I'd pick the Browning hands down. To me the Ruger felt like a pipe attached to a 2X4. My preference in an O/U is Beretta, again because they fit me better.
Same here. Beretta and Browning make a good O/U and I would choose them over a Ruger anyday.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I now own two Browning Cynergys one 20 GA and one 12 Ga. Both are Cynergy Euro Sporting 30 in. I use to shoot a Ruger Red label. Last I knew Red Labels were around $1000.00 and Cynergy $1700.00. Just got back from the Iron Man shoot and took the 12 GA. and got a 120/150.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a Red Label in 20, my bro-in-law has a cynergy in 20. I like my Red Label better but the cynergy is nice too. The Red Label just fits me better. Ruger also has a life time warranty where as the browning does not.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A Browning or Beretta O/U would be my preference in a 20 ga. The Red Label is the only shotgun I ever bought and promptly sold within a year. Mine was a lifeless clunker. The 20's may be trimmer, but my 12 was uninspiring.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
for you guys talking about fit, you eill hate me for this, but the best fitting guns I have ever had have been right-out-of-the-box Remingtons, from 870's, 1100's, and top dollar competition 3200's.

Oh, how I wish they would bring back the quality 3200!!! Constantly checking the internet for a good 4-barrel set!!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
by the way, my current competition gun is a Browning Special Sporting edition, with 30" barrels, and a Brily Ultralight sub-gage tube set. Its a great gun, love the palm swell.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
FLDBRED said:
Have any of you guys shot or owned both of these guns?I was thinking about a new O/U and would love to stay with the American made Ruger unless there was a "big" difference!Thanks!
IIRC, the reason I never ended up with a Red Label, and I like the guns in photos, is because the ones I have shouldered all had flush ribs. I like the rib to raise up 1.4 inch or so above the receiver. I have never cared much for flush-rib guns.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
John Henry said:
for you guys talking about fit, you eill hate me for this, but the best fitting guns I have ever had have been right-out-of-the-box Remingtons, from 870's, 1100's, and top dollar competition 3200's.

Oh, how I wish they would bring back the quality 3200!!! Constantly checking the internet for a good 4-barrel set!!
Back in June there was a vendor that had just such a gun on the table in hard case. I wasn't in the market at the time but did take a quick look. I think they were Briley tubes and I don't think the price was too awfully bad - somewhere around $1500 if I recall. Check out a couple of the bigger shows such as the upcoming one in Harrisburg in Sept and agin Valley Forge in Sept.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
John Henry said:

Have you looked at the 332? Pretty close replica of the 3200, not the same quality but not a bad gun for the price.

It was the latest in a series of O/U's Remington introduced then fairly quickly discontinued. I thought they got it right with the 332. I shoot one as my primary upland gun. Don't understand why they stopped production on this one after 5-6 years?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack your thread FLDBRED. I shoot my buddy's Red Label once and awhile (we swap guns sometimes) and I shoot a Browning Superposed (Belgium made circa 1960's) at the trap range. Given the two choices I'd pick the Browning everytime.

Besides, I really don't like that silver receiver on the Rugers...(I'm a bluing and walnut guy).

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
huntin-nut said:
Back in June there was a vendor that had just such a gun on the table in hard case. I wasn't in the market at the time but did take a quick look. I think they were Briley tubes and I don't think the price was too awfully bad - somewhere around $1500 if I recall.
I'm interested in an actual 4 barrel set, not a tube set. I do have a Briley tube set in my Browning,and it is a great set!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
FLDBRED,

your thread got me looking at the Browning site. It shows the Cynergy Feather at under 5 lbs in a 20 ga. I am suddenly very interested, as long as it has a raised rib, which I can't really tell by the picture.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses guys!I have shot both guns,just not during the same outing.There was a time when I didn't mind where it was made,Ive owned a Berreta AL-2 since the early 70's and love it.But as I get older the made in the U.S.A. tag means more!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts