The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What? No one here shoots a No.1 for serious deer hunting? Mine's a 1A in 270 Win. topped with a 6x Leupold. Great rifle for the mountain.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just noticed that no one was taking about Rugers, just other single shots.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have a 15 year old Ruger #1B in 7MM mag, in very good condition, I'd like to sell or trade. Can anyone give me an idea of it's worth?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I know more guys that own Ruger #1s for collecting,
rather than using them. Most of them use them for
groundhog hunting but not big game.

G

·
0 Posts
I just bought #1 this summer in 25-06, love the gun, the cal, and the antelope in the freezer. With longer range shooting in mind I topped with a Nikon 4.5X14.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah...Jericho. Ya just got to go get a No.1 (used for the price of a new Rem. 700) and hunt with it. I suggest a 1A in 270 Win./ 7x57/ or '06. Works of art (esp the older ones) light, accurate, and handy. As short as a 30-30 carbine and handles like a dream. It's like hunting with a muzzleloader...only with a twist!

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I love Ruger #1's. They aren't always the greatest shooters but usually no worse than most. I always have to have at least one and my current is the stainless laminated in 25-06. This one I originally thought was a dog until I tried some Federal Fusion ammo and the gun loves it and shoots this stuff in about 3/4 inch groups. Since I primarily hunt archery most of the time and muzzleloader when not archery hunting - I never felt handicapped while using a single shot rifle and the Rugers can be pretty quick to reload if required.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a No.1 in a 7mm . Good shooting rifle with 154 gr. interbond bullet. My favorite unless I'm walking to the top of the mountain.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
no.1 in 45-70 here.love to hear those 300 gr.hornady's slap!!mine has a 1.75x5 on top.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have a Redpad No.1 in 243, thing shoots like a tack driver.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts