The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
I've had both a Mini 14 and Mini 30 for years and like them. Not typically as accurate as a good AR, but far easier to maintain.

Mine are both older versions. The new Mini 14s are supposed to be a tad more accurate, do know they have much nicer sights than my older one, but I installed an aftermarket peep on my 14 and it suits me fine.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fun, fun, fun gun. I used to have an old LE Government Barrel. Lots of fun to shoot. I never took it out very far (indoor range), but it was pretty accurate and as mentioned a lot easier to clean. Plus its a nice compromise if you want an M14 and can't afford one. Mags aren't cheap though, and the aftermarket ones are all junk or unreliable.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought it would be a fun gun to target shoot and serve for HD in a pinch if the AR goes down and the apocalypse comes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I bought one of the new Ranch Mini 14s a couple months back. I believe it was $639.00. I could have gotten it cheaper at CDNN, but I wanted the wood stock. All the reading I did before I bought mine. The newer 14s are much more accurate than the older ones. You can now get a 14 in the target model as well, I did not get that model, only because it is not recommended too shoot Mil surplus ammo in them, were as the standard Ranch rifle will handle both. My range is only 100 yard and my rifle is very accurate at this range.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just a real fun gun to shoot. We have one left at work, most are all AR style now. But there is just something fun and unique about shooting the Mini.

Dunklebergers in Stroudsburg has a used one listed on their web site for $450. I'm not sure how long its been there but they will sometimes drop the price a bit if asked when a gun has been there a few months.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If looking for new Buds online has the wood ranch for $647.00 free shipping. CDNN has the plastic stock for $579.99 un sure on shipping. If you don’t mind a drive and can’t find a better price I got mine at Bee’s in Saltsburg. $639.00

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you want to put the work in you can build an AR for about the same money as a new Mini 14. Do a search on AR builds plenty of guys are doing it.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Buy an Arsenal SGL 21 AK47 for $800 and get mags for $10 at Aim Surplus. I had a new mini 14 223 but got rid of it they are nice but mags are expensive my Arsenal will shoot 2" moa all day the same as the new mini 14 and that's with cheap Tula ammo. You can get a cheap AR for as much as a mini

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Buy an AR instead..I've owned a mini 14 for over 20 years. Its an OK gun but once I bought an AR I realized the mini can't hold a candle to the AR for accuracy and versatility.

I never liked the way mine throws brass 30 or 40 feet. No other semi-auto gun I own does that. I got tired of having people at the other end of the firing line complain that i was dropping brass on top of them. That was always a worrisome sore spot with me regarding the Mini14. I hardly ever shoot mine anymore but will keep it on hand as a backup if I ever need it should my AR's or WASR let me down(which I doubt will happen).

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
They are fun guns and I thought about buying one a while back. People with more knowledge than me suggested that an AR-15 would be more accurate and be easier to get accessories for. I spent a little bit more and got the AR-15 but if you are on a budget the mini 14's are good guns.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Never wanted any accessories for my Mini 14 (SS/wood). I just load it with a variety of ammo and shoot it. Minimal cleaning, still clicks 'em off with boring regularity.

Having disassembled dozens of ARs over the years (after youth shooting clinics/club matches), cleaned them, lubed them and put 'em all back together again, makes me love the Mini even more.

Price wasn't much of a factor for me. Paid around $400 for the 14 and $265 for the 30, some years ago. Both used, both in mint condition. Have several 20 round mags for both, all Ruger factory mags.

My Bushmaster AR 15 CMP competition rifle cost me almost $900, slightly used, about 6 or 7 years ago. It was very accurate, can't really say that I missed it all that much, after I sold it?

To each their own.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
In my experience, the Mini is less accurate, but more reliable than an AR, and easier to maintain. I own both. My Wal Mart has both, and the AR there now costs less.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
What makes you love the mini more than the AR from a disassembly/reassembly standpoint?
No real need to disassemble a Mini for cleaning, unlike the AR platform. Plus the Mini is basically a copy of the Garand/M14-type of operating system and doesn't have the "delicate" wee parts inherent with the AR (extractor, ejector, etc).

ARs are fairly easy to take apart/put back together again, but they generally require more regular maintenence to function properly over a period of time, than the Mini.

Shoot ammo that produces lots of carbon residue, for example and the AR will quickly be dead in the water without disassembly/cleaning.

Don't recall what it was now, but some of us had a supply of milsurp 5.56 ammo some years ago, that was notorious for rapidly fouling up the innards of ARs.

I still have a quantity of M193 spec Malaysian and Greek ammo that was fairly clean running stuff, but not all ammo is equal in that regard. Mostly depends on the powder used.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I have an Mini-14 that's about 20 years old. Great gun to blast away with but it's not accurate at all.

I also like to take my guns apart when I clean them to get in all the nooks and crannies and my Mini-14 is a pain to do this with. It's also top eject and optics aren't really an option.

I looked at newer Mini-14s, the ranch rifles- as others have said they have been accurized and modified from earlier versions to allow you to put optics on if you like. Nice guns. I took a gander at a few at a local gun shop a few weeks back and they wanted over $900 apiece for them. I ended up (just for the fun of it) buying a WASR 10/63 AK47 for a little over half the cost of a ranch rifle. But that ranch rifle is on my list (same as an AR).

BH

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Both of my Minis are Ranch Rifles (both optics ready w/Ruger rings) and I've never taken either apart to clean. One caution on optics for the Ruger Minis: Buy a good scope, because they are notorious for ruining cheap ones.

I just remove the barreled actions from the stocks, squirt the innards clean with spray cleaner, let dry, re-lube, put 'em back in their stocks and they're ready to roll again. Both of mine will do 3" or less @ 100 yards, which is accurate enough for me. Can't hunt with them, but for plinking or "worst case scenario" use, plenty accurate enough.

If I could use the Mini 30 for deer, wouldn't have a problem there either, as it will do 2" or better at 50 yards and would make a dandy little brush gun.

BTW, our local Walmart has the newest version of the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle for less than $700 (blue/wood).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts