The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about buying a ruger m77 tang safety in 257 roberts. would like to hear any pros or cons on this rifle

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have the M77 with tang safety in .243 and love it. Oh man the meat that thing has put into the freezer! I love the position of the safety in relation to my thumb while carrying. I also have a Hawkeye in 7mm-08...awesome rifle as well although the 3 position safety on the side took some getting used to.

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
I have a Ruger M 77 in both 243 and 270....both great guns. I think the 257 Roberts is a very good round, but I try to stay with the more popular rounds.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have an 77 Ultralight tang safety in .308. My first deer rifle! Love it and it has never let me down with dropping whitetails.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
My tang safety M77 is in 25-06. Fairly stout barrel, shoots very well. Enjoyed hunting with it, but a stepson borrowed it (again), so will make do with another 25-06 next week, in an even older M700.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I bought one new in 1976;it is a 257 roberts with a tang safety. that year they stamped the barrels with the Words "Made in the 200th year of American Freedom". the wood stock is beautiful.

I've killed 4 deer with it and greatly like the cartridge for deer/varmint. Because of it ability to shoot 120 grain slugs it is superior to the 243/244 cartridges for big game. Before buying this gun I shot a pre-64 M70 in roberts.

UNFORTUNATELY my 257 tang safety rifle is just not very accurate. It never shoots under a 2.5-3 inch groups. I've been reloading for 50 years and can't get it to shoot anything well. Tried all the Ruger stock bedding tricks (shims, etc there are lots of these on the internet). It is same with factory ammo. A 3 inch groups will kill deer all day long, but I love accurcy. I haven't dumped it because of the stamp and that I bought this rifle for my son who was born a week earlier.

Back in the day of the tang M77, Ruger did not make their own barrels, but bought them from suppliers. so the quality varied and was never great. After having gotten the reputation as inaccurate rifles, Ruger took control of the qualtiy of the barrels. After the tang safety, MK2. I suspect that was the reason for much of the change, to escape such a bad reputation.

Based upon many years with a 257 Roberts Ruger M77 tang safety (that looks beautiful), I'd not recommend buying one.

I also like the tang safety. But if you can get a Mk2 or a Hawkeye in 257 Roberts, I'd say get it.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
I bought a Ruger M77 257 Roberts in 1980 w/tang safe. There was a recall on a screw in the trigger assembly that was an easy fix for the average person.

I never had a problem with mine, I think only the real big bores were experiencing the problems...recoil issue.

I have killed more deer with the .257 than all mine other guns combined. I love the rifle.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My grandfather had a M77 mk2 for years. His was a 7mm RM though. His gun shot great. Not bench rest accurate, but plenty good to hunt with out to 300 yards or so.

When I go to look for another rifle I think I will check into them first. I like traditional blued steel and walnut. The bluing on his gun was perfect, and the walnut stock was really nice. Not fancy, but nice.

Why gun manufacturers insist on putting black plastic on the ends of stocks is beyond me. What ever happened to the 700 ADL with wood stock? Friend of mine got one about 18 years ago, and I like that rifle.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've sold the M77 models for years. I've always felt that the fit and finish of this Ruger was above average. A very attractive "over the counter" rifle. They are a decent shooting rifle out of the box. They don't have the reputation of the Remington 700 or Savage 110 accuracy, but they are at least "hunting accurate" if not even better.
I've always wanted the M77 with the mannlicher stock in 7 x 57 Walters or .257 Roberts..

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't have an older tang safety, but I do have a new ultra light in .257 that will shot sub MOA all day long. Great gun and great caliber IMHO! I would only go with .257 if you plan to reload though, as factory ammo is hard to find and usually pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My dad bought me a tang safety 30-06 in 1982.He gave it to me on Thanksgiving day as an early Christmas present so I would be able to use it for deer season. He had already mounted and bore sighted a 2x7 Browning scope on it and loaded up 4 different loads he wanted to try in it to swee what would shoot the best.So after turkey dinner was over we went out to the shooting bench in the backyard.The best we could do was about a 3.5"group. He said no way are you hunting with that thing shooting like that,so we'll put it away and mess with it after hunting season is over.So here I was, a 13 year old kid with a brand new gun and couldn't use it.Talk about being disappointed.Anyway after hunting season was over,he got it out and took it apart.He said there was a bunch of pressure points between the stock and the barrel. I don't remember exactly what he did, but I do know its glass bedded.As a bonus,while he had it tore apart he inlaid ebony and ivory diamonds in the stock,just like his Weatherby has(which is also now mine). When it was all said and done,he was able to cover 3 shots with a nickel at 100 yards. (Sorry for being kinda long winded)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It will be a good one! I just got an older tang safety 270 that was is pretty good shape, love those rifles!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have a 77RLI in .257 Roberts with the tang saftey that was reamed out to an AO Improved. Factory ammo is fire formed in it and with the 100 grn. reloads it's 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. My neice used it to take her first deer last year. The .257 Roberts is a fantastic 200 yard deer rifle when loaded with 100 grn bullets. Factory stuff is all 117 or 120 grain stuff. Get the trigger adjusted by a competent gunsmith. Most 77's I came across had a trigger that was akin to my Red Label O/U. The trigger is the most important part on a rifle when it comes to accuracy.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have a tang safety in 30/06 (my first deer rifle) and a MKII in 300 WM. Both easily shoot sub moa. I have a Hawkeye in 338 federal that didn't shoot as well until I found the combo it liked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts