The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ruger LCR

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  sig88 
#1 ·
Anyone own one or shot one? I saw they have a new version out in .357. Seems like even .38 +P would be a handful. Wish I could find one to test fire.

#2 ·
I have carried an LCR for about 6 months and like it very much. Very light, easily concealed and works well for protection while out hunting. Shoots .38 +'s well without being too abusive. Added a Crimson Trace laser grip recently and really like it.

#5 ·
I agree. This gun wasn't designed for high power applications. The LCR was designed to be very lightweight and easily concealable.

If you leave a handgun home because it is uncomfortable to carry or too heavy to remain comfortable for all day, then it doesn't matter how much power it has, it's at home when you need it. The idea here is a handgun you will have with you when you need it. And the .38 + are adequate loads for protection.

#7 ·
When you chop the barrel down next to nothing (snub-like) and use lightweight materials you're going to end up with notable recoil.
If you're looking for a comfortable handgun to shoot, get yourself a 6" or 8" Colt, S&W, Taurus, etc... with some Pach or Hogue grips on it.
If you want a CCW gun that is light and comfortable, .... get yourself a Ruger LCR.

#9 ·
I handled one yesterday at a shop and could not believe how lightweight they really are. I've got it on my list...

Holding out to see what the .357 Mag version feels like. Although i'd limit to +p .38's, options are good to have.

#11 ·
I have two of them both with Crimson Laser sights. My wife carries hers all the time and the other my son has and uses daily in South Carolina when taking hunters out for hogs. Great carry gun but definitely not a range gun. I have seen so many used ones for sale by people buying them and trying to shoot 50 +p rounds at the range.

#12 ·
I own the 38spl one. The guy at the shop told me they can handle +P's but he wouldnt make a habit of shooting them all the time. Frankly, I won't make a habit of shooting them any of the time. You'll feel it after a box of 50, +P or no.

Definitely lighter/easier trigger than a straight double-action, whatever it is they do with some manner of cam inside the frame. I'm not a gifted DA shooter but if I have the time to aim it serves me well enough to 7 yds.

Oh, and if you have big mitts, I'd recommend the Hogue grips. The Crimson Trace ones are significantly smaller, and the difference is def. there.

Anyway, this gun impressed me so much (and fit my criteria for a defense weapon well enough) that I felt I no longer needed my Kel-Tec P11. So I traded it in for a really sweet deal on a bushmaster XM15 :-D but I digress, if you like the j-frame at all, give this one a shot. Rides happily along in a desantis nemesis in any weather, or an uncle mikes IWB, or a bianchi(?) OWB if you need the pocket space.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.