The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I live in PA. and I am looking for a 20" to 22" hunting rifle in 308. I like the Ruger Hawkeye Compact Magnum and the Browning Hunter. I like to have a light rifle to walk around with. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have a Ruger compact in a 308and it really shoots good, can't go wrong with a Ruger!
Never had a Browning, so I can't comment about them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ruger's, have several and they all shoot well. As mentioned before, can't go wrong with a Ruger. You might want to check out the Ruger Ultralight in the 308 cal. They have 20" barrels and weigh about 6lbs. One of the nicest guns to carry in the woods, many guys don't ever get rid of them once they hunt with them.
Browning's are also nice guns. I had a couple and both were extremely accurate. Good luck

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have several rugers, MKI, II and hawkeyes. the only one that isn't a tack driver is my RSI 308 which is a full stock. its right on for the first shot and then tends to scatter them after that. but it is a sweet gun to carry. the ultralights are great but the pencil thin barrel sometimes causes the above behavior on them as well. i have two of the frontiers which have thicker 16.5" barrels and they are great for carrying. you can put either the conventional or scout style scope on them. they shoot MOA shot after shot due to their thicker barrel. they are the size of a yard stick and about 6.5lbs. laminated and SS.

i like the RCM's but unless i am mistaken they only come in the RCM calibers right? cost and availability of ammo would be an issue if so. if they came in 308, etc i think they'd be almost ideal.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The browning micro hunter is a sweet gun. Nothing against rugers. In 308 is about 6 lbs with 20 in barrel. They shoot good. LOP is slightly shorter however, so if you're a tall guy the shorter length may not fit you well, but you could always put a thicker recoil pad on if needed.

·
6,450 Posts
i have a compact in 260 for my son great little rifle and i won a 257 roberts in the browning micro medallion both are nice small and compact.....IMHO you cant go wrong with either rifle!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I like the Browning Micro as well. I have several and they all shoot very well. What I really like is the magazine attached to the hinged floorplate which hides it and gives me a feeling of being secure.

I also like the top tang safety and its location. Also something I feel is sometimes overlooked is the ability to nudge the safety off quietly. You can do this with the Brownings.

They are a classy, classic looking gun also.

The older triggers were not the best, the new ones are much better. Good luck and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts