The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Ruger Gp 100 6" Stainless Revolver today at a Gun Show in Westmoreland Co. I've owned a Ruger SP 101 before but never a GP 100. I want to use it for some short range deer hunting in the future. Any thoughts on the weapon itself? Any favorite deer loads that you use?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Your gun? My brother has one and it is a nice revolver. I have a Smith 686 that I like better, but the Ruger is a fine gun.

I have used a Hornady 158gr XTP bullet over 16.5 grains of H 110 on the one deer I shot with the pistol. The load performed well.

Will

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have one, and it shoots really good. The front sight could use some color though. I just shot mine at 50 yards off the bench a couple weeks ago, and I could get around MOD (minute of deer) accuracy. I was shooting PMC 125 hollow ponts, and American Eagle 158 JSP's. Both shot about the same. The 158 grainers definately had more recoil. They were also about and inch or two lower at 50 compared to the 125's.

I can say one thing for sure. If I got a good rest anything inside of 50 yards is in trouble. Off hand, I better keep it closer. For now.....I will practice some more offhand (two hands) to try to extend my range.

I got the same gun you have. 6" stainless model, and it is my first stainless gun. I really like it. I wanted a smith 686, but it was way over my budget. Actually the ruger was over my budget, but I bought it anyway.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Ruger handguns are solidly built, and they stand behind them. The only problem I have with the revolvers is the cylinder release, I just don't like it, too use to the Smith I guess, I don't like the Colt pull back release either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hunt/Fish365 - see you mention that the front sight could use more color. Get into the Ruger accessories webpage, they sell replacement front blades with color at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I saw that. Can't decide if I want that one or one of the many other aftermarkets sights that are available.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a half shroud six inch gp in ss it is definitly a shooter but in ruger fashion it needs the trigger massaged... mine is in the shop for a trigger makeover now ill post my results

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
My son has a GP100 stainless with a scope on it. He's never shot anything but paper with it. Accurate and a very nice pistol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts