The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered one today. Pretty excited for it to come in and at $579.00 I don't think I can go wrong.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Cabelas has them advertised for 629.00. My local guy AF Boyer's price was $579.00. Had to order it though he was sold out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are fun to shoot for sure! I have been a firearm instructor for my facility for 8 or 9 years but I just never bought an AR. I felt it was time to get one (I always feel that if I instruct others on proper use and maintenance of a weapon I should own one). I wIll let u guys know how it compares to the bushmaster M4's I have in service now.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I gave my S&W MP15 to my son when I got the Ruger. Love the Ruger AR platform!! They are addicting.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What ever model is similar in quality and performance. I do not own an AR type rifle but would like to get one

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Billu said:
What ever model is similar in quality and performance. I do not own an AR type rifle but would like to get one
The base models look pretty much the same too me. Both have non chrome lined barrels made of 4140 steel. The upper and lower are both made of 7075 aluminum. The Ruger has a 1-8 twist barrel and the Smith is twisted 1-9. The 1-8 should let you shoot bullets up to the 77 grain range, while theoretically the 1-9 is good up to 69.

Both rifles are good entry level AR type rifles. I would go with the Ruger just because of the 1-8 twist barrel. That is if they are priced in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I just ordered the Ruger AR, like mentioned above it has the 1/8 twist. But it also appears to have a dust cover and forward assist. I love Ruger guns and their customer service so I am excited to be picking one up.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'd choose the Ruger AR 556 over the S&W Sport. The Ruger comes with the forward assist (probably not necessary but nice to have) and a dust cover where the Sport does not. Also I like the ease of use the AR 556's delta ring. no need to struggle with it or buy a special tool to remove it to change out hand guards or inspect gas tube.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts