The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have one and if so what do you think? I won one in a raffle and am trying to decide to keep it or not. its in 7mm-08 I don't have a gun in this but do have a ,260 and a .257. just trying to decide what to do kinda a fun problem to have.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
great rifle at any price. I have one in 270 and had one in 30-06. both shoot really nice. I like the American line of rifles!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The one I purchased in 7mm-08 right at the end of rifle season shoots the Winchester power point 140s and the Fed fusion 120s well inside of an inch at 100 yards. The 120s right about 3/4" and the PPs at less than 1/2". Replacement mags are rediculous should you loose yours and need to replace it but I just love the rifle and WILL be buying another one in the same caliber. I'll cont to use my Encore, M77-MK II in 7 mag but the girlfriend and her daughter will be well equipped come deer season...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If it shoot any thing like there 22lr you will be more then happy.

Best 22lr that I have ever owned.

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going this weekend still undecided on taking the gun or the instore credit on something different. thanks for all the input

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
treestand91 said:
I won one in a raffle ......
You happen top win that rifle on a blue ticket ??

If you did, I believe I was looking your gun over on Saturday when I was up there picking up the one I won.

Pretty sure that's what my little gal is gonna be toting for her first deer hunt this fall.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have the Ruger American in 17HMR and it shoots great. A friend has one in 308 that also shoots under one inch at 100yds. I may get another in some center fire round soon. Great gun for the money

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strut10 said:
treestand91 said:

If you did, I believe I was looking your gun over on Saturday when I was up there picking up the one I won.

Pretty sure that's what my little gal is gonna be toting for her first deer hunt this fall.
yes it was a blue ticket....also recall your name being drawn congrats

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
treestand91 said:
Strut10 said:
treestand91 said:

yes it was a blue ticket....also recall your name being drawn congrats
Thanks !!

That little American seems to be about the ultimate setup for a kid. I'm not real hip over plastic stocked rifles. But on the other hand, I recognize their purpose and own several of them. The price point (not that it matters to you with one coming for free !!
) on the Ruger is exceptional, as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one in .223 and have also shot a friends in .308. For the money they cannot be beat. Light, which a must for me. Fit and finish, i.e. flash on parting lines minimal. Surface finish OK and does seem different from earlier models to newer ones. Trigger is good. Accuracy outstanding due mostly to their simple bedding system. Only complaint or suggestion, magazine cost and quality. No feeding issues, I just see the magazines maybe not lasting the life of the rifle if you shoot as much as I do. Ideal, if we could get a mfg to design and build. Design a system to allow the use of AR-15 mags but actuates on the axis of the rifle not perpendicular. Though perpendicular like a glock or 1911 might be ok. Have Mag-pul design a 5 or 6 shot mag by slightly downsizing their 10 shot mag. This way two thirds or more of the mag would be inside the rifle with only a small amount over hanging the frame. Mag-pul mags are outstanding, period.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just bought my wife the compact model in 7mm-08 and am really impressed with it, shoots well and love the tang safety on it.

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the gun it seems like a nice addition to the collection. id like to trade it for a tc hawken flinter if the chance arises

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the gun it seems like a nice addition to the collection. id like to trade it for a tc hawken flinter if the chance arises

1 - 20 of 21 Posts