The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Do you mean Hunter XP?

If so, the American is better because it doesn't come with a cheap Bushnell.

Rifle to rifle, I'm not sure which is better. The Savage is time tested but the American seems to review well for a budget rifle.

What is your rifle plus optics budget? Savages seem to be a little overpriced these days, though not terribly. If it means you can go with a better optic, I'd get the American. The Marlin XS7 probably also deserves a look in this category.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think the better value is in the American. I'm on the fence getting one. I need another rifle like a hole in the head. If they come out with one in a wood stock I would grab one in .308.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
broknaero said:
I think the better value is in the American. I'm on the fence getting one. I need another rifle like a hole in the head. If they come out with one in a wood stock I would grab one in .308.
Oh man, a Ruger M77 with a birch stock would be awsome!! It would have to have a blued barrel though. I am sick of the black matte ones. Open sights would be a bonus.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I was at a store today and they happened to have the Savage Axis, Ruger American and Remington 770. They were all very cheap looking and feeling. It`s a real shame what is happening to firearms. As a side, they had a Remington BDL and man are they overpriced and crappy compared to what they use too be. They might as well discontinue it with that price and quality.

·
Registered
555 Posts
buckmasters243 said:
Savage.Id like to hear the argument why the scope is bad.
You mean the Savage package scope? What are the specs on it? When the only specs available are "3-9x40 Bushnell", you can bet its not an Elite or even a Trophy XLT. I'm not sure what exactly they include in the package, but it is likely of Banner quality or less. That's not the kind scope I choose to use. I would go with a used $250 rifle and a $200 scope any day over a new $450 package deal that includes a $50-ish scope.

Having a rifle that shoots half MOA does little good if you can't see the crosshairs because the scope fogs up, can't see the game because there isn't enough light, or can't trust the scope to hold zero. In my opinion the average PA hunter would be much better suited with a 2 MOA rifle and a reliable scope with decent glass and coatings. Not too many of us shoot at ranges where a 2 MOA rifle won't get the job done. Plenty of us have game present shots in low light in inclement weather.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
as with all new guns that come with a scope, the scopes all go one place when I get it home. THE TRASH. I have never had a package deal scope work out for me so when I'm looking at a new rifle I don't concern myself with whether it has a scope or not.

That said I will put my Savage 11 up against your ruger American any day. I really want to get a ruger American in 308 someday but it is really hard to drag me away from the out of the box accuracy of the savages.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ROVERT said:
buckmasters243 said:
Savage.Id like to hear the argument why the scope is bad.
You mean the Savage package scope? What are the specs on it? When the only specs available are "3-9x40 Bushnell", you can bet its not an Elite or even a Trophy XLT. I'm not sure what exactly they include in the package, but it is likely of Banner quality or less. That's not the kind scope I choose to use. I would go with a used $250 rifle and a $200 scope any day over a new $450 package deal that includes a $50-ish scope.

Having a rifle that shoots half MOA does little good if you can't see the crosshairs because the scope fogs up, can't see the game because there isn't enough light, or can't trust the scope to hold zero. In my opinion the average PA hunter would be much better suited with a 2 MOA rifle and a reliable scope with decent glass and coatings. Not too many of us shoot at ranges where a 2 MOA rifle won't get the job done. Plenty of us have game present shots in low light in inclement weather.
X2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts