The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering this rifle in 243 for my daughter. Do any of you guys have any experience or feedback on this rifle. Seems to be the right fit and overall weight for her. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions for a lightweight short length of pull deer caliber rifle.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Nice gun.I considered one but ended up buying a model 7 compact.The model 7 is a little lighter,less money and has an 18 inch barrel.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I bought one before last season for my 8 year old. His is in 260 Rem, walnut, blued with a Leupold Compact 3x9.

Nice shooting little gun, very quick to the shoulder for me and it fits him very well. The short barrel produces a bit of muzzle blast but its not unbearable even for a kid. My only complaint, if you could call it that, is the safety. I still like the old Tang Safety Rugers and not a big fan of the 3 positions on the new ones. It is loud and a bit tough to manipulate with a glove on. To make it somewhat quiet I always have to use 2 fingers to ease it off.

Great little guns in my opinion!!

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I have a regular Hawkeye stainless/synthetic in .338 WinMag. It is a great rifle IMHO. I used it on my grizzly hunt in AK and for several deer so far. It is very accurate and has a better trigger than most Ruger's that I've fired. I also like the fact that the scope mounts come with it. One less extra thing to buy.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
BONZy said:
I bought one before last season for my 8 year old. His is in 260 Rem, walnut, blued with a Leupold Compact 3x9.

Nice shooting little gun, very quick to the shoulder for me and it fits him very well. The short barrel produces a bit of muzzle blast but its not unbearable even for a kid. My only complaint, if you could call it that, is the safety. I still like the old Tang Safety Rugers and not a big fan of the 3 positions on the new ones. It is loud and a bit tough to manipulate with a glove on. To make it somewhat quiet I always have to use 2 fingers to ease it off.

What's the recoil like with the .260 in that gun?

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
dce said:
BONZy said:

What's the recoil like with the .260 in that gun?
Not bad at all. We are handloading some 120's running right around 2700 FPS. Not max loads but not drastically reduced either. A tad more recoil than the 243 but not a lot. Like I said, my now 10 year old, has shot it for 2 years without much issue.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
My 15 year old daughter claims she's gonna hunt next year.She's been shooting a lot of .223 lately and doing well but I haven't let her shoot anything with recoil yet.I'm gonna have to buy another rifle and want something that my son can work up to in a couple of years so I've been torn between a .260 and a 7mm-08.I reload so making it work with either caliber shouldn't be a problem.I'm not sure how long she'll stick it out so I don't want to buy another .243.

What's the terminal performance been like with the .260?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I just bought a Ruger American Compact two weeks ago in 7 08. I really like it. It shot WAY under and inch at 100 yards.

I like the safety, love the trigger, love the clip and most of all, loved the price. $299 at Cabelas, with $20 in points going on my club card.

I favor the tang safety, simply because I am used to it.

I also saw on their web site that they are introducing a Stainless Compact this March for another $75 or so.

It is also available in .243 and .308.

·
Registered
605 Posts
dce,

My fiancé has used a laminate .260 for 5 years now. I load 100 grain Ballistic Tips in it and she has killed 6 deer with it-no shot longer than 100 yards. The Noslers have worked well-passed through every animal.

My nephew has killed 2 deer with a walnut stocked.243. I load 85 grain Partitions in that rifle-though both recoil about the same-more than my .243 A-bolt, but neither one of them complain.

One thing about the Ruger's-they are the have the shortest LOP I have found, and they are very small and slim in the stock. I really wanted my fiancé to get a Browning micro-hunter, but the Ruger fit her much better. The new micro-midas Browning may be more in line with the Ruger.

Will

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
DCE. I bought my son a 7-08 when he was 12. It worked out very well. The reduced load made the recoil very light.

I also thought about the .260. The recoil is supposed to be a bit milder. Always seems to be more tips available for the 7mm.

Good luck and enjoy hunting with your daughter!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
dce said:
My 15 year old daughter claims she's gonna hunt next year.She's been shooting a lot of .223 lately and doing well but I haven't let her shoot anything with recoil yet.I'm gonna have to buy another rifle and want something that my son can work up to in a couple of years so I've been torn between a .260 and a 7mm-08.I reload so making it work with either caliber shouldn't be a problem.I'm not sure how long she'll stick it out so I don't want to buy another .243.

What's the terminal performance been like with the .260?
My buddy who is 28 shoots a model 7 in .260 Rem........he has killed multiple deer with it with good quick kills, and he shot a 200 pound bear with it that also was a quick kill....

I wouldn't have any inhibitions using it on deer.....

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I have no reservations about using it on deer.I bought a .243 for my son last year when he was 7.Between the two of us,we've killed 8 deer with it in the last two years.I not overly impressed with terminal performance although it's fine for what we need it for.I just want something that she can use for now and he can grow into.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Thus far we've only killed 2 deer with the .260. Both bang, flops!! One was at 30 yards, and I shot the second one at 175 yards, both behind the shoulder, and both dropped on the spot.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
TedC54 said:
I just bought a Ruger American Compact two weeks ago in 7 08. I also saw on their web site that they are introducing a Stainless Compact this March for another $75 or so.
The Compact has an 18" barrel and a 12.5" LOP compared to a 22" barrel and a 13.75 LOP.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
So far, I love mine.

I have been looking for an accurate compact bolt for a while. I had a Model 7. I didn't like dumping the ammo through the hinged floor plate, and the one i had was not all that accurate. Tried many loads with not much luck, although it was acceptable. The position of the safety was okay, but I have hunted with top tang safety's all my life. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it almost was. Had to fumble for it, on a big buck two years ago. Fortunately it worked out.

I also had a Browning micro in .257 Roberts. It was great, but it was just too pretty to hunt with, and they didn't make one in stainless synthetic at that time. Don't think they do now either. I would think it would be a big hit if they did.

As far as length of pull, for me it doesn't matter. The Browning was a special run and had a standard LOP. I really didn't prefer either. My guess is that only matters for youths who have to stretch to reach the trigger. I kind of like the shorter LOP and I am tall.

So far the Ruger is perfect. Had I known they were going to offer it in stainless, I probably would have waited. I may end up with one eventually anyhow. But with the price and the rugged finish on the barrel I don't think I would care all that much if it got a little wet.

Now, I am hoping Ruger comes out with American in .300 Short Mag. It would be the perfect elk rifle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I settled in on a 243 compact American. Very impressed with the accuracy so far. Looks like a winner for the price.

·
Registered
300 Posts
7mm-08Rem. That is your go to in my opinion.
If she's not recoil sensitive, go ahead and strap her into a 308win under a reduced load and build it up slowly until its at kill power for whitetails.
Your son will never outgrow a 308win. It was the second caliber I ever shot and still is in my top 3.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I have a Kimber Montanna in a .308.I thought about using 125 gr ballsitic tips and a reduced load with H4895 but It's my go to rifle.I was looking at a ss/syn 700 mountain rifle this past weekend.It's more than I wanted to spend but my son can grow into it and use it forever.My daughter is small for a 16 year old but she shoots my browning A-bolt in .223 very well so I think a full sized rifle will be ok as long as I use a scope with enough eye relief.Regardless of the rifle,I'm relatively certain it will be a 7mm-08.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
DCE:

I bought a 700 Mountain for my son when he was 12. It worked out great.

We did the reduced load for a few years.

Our group really likes the 7mm 08.

I would recommend checking out the Ruger American Compact. They go for under four and are great. As stated above I bought one in December and it shoots terrific. They are coming out with a stainless/synthetic version soon.

Good luck and enjoy the kids!

Ted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts