The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I just picked up a ruger 10/22 with a wood stock, nothing fancy just a plain 10/22. So, question is what does a 10/22 like best for 22 ammo. I know that covers a lot but if I could narrow it down a little it would help.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Won't know until you try different kinds of ammo. Just how most 22 rim fires are.

Bulk Remington is usually about the least expensive, although I've never liked it. Buy some 50 count boxes if you can find them, try them out to see what your rifle likes. Then buy more of that.

When I was still shooting my "plain Jane" 1022 for indoor three position matches, I used Fed. Auto Match. It also shoots some of the Fed. bulk pack stuff fairly well for plinking. One type of ammo that's always shot pretty well in a variety of rifles over the years, is CCI Mini Mags. But they're kinda pricey for plinking use, perfect for small game.

Another 1022 that I put together years ago, with an Adams & Bennet .920 barrel, really likes Wolf Match Target.

But when I was shooting it two weeks ago, the best 50 yard group was with Mini Mags, which also shoot about an inch higher at 50, than the target ammo does. That's due to the higher velocity of the Mini Mags vs target ammo.

Reactions: Waynzee

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Mine pretty much eats whatever I feed it. The only thing I will say is that the bulk remington stuff is really dirty. I like the CCI minimags too but they are a bit more expensive now-a-days. To be honest I've never done much comparing in regards to accuracy.

One other thing I will caution you is buy/use only Ruger factory mags. I've tried the butler creek and other aftermarket mags...none of them function as well at the Ruger mags in my experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts