The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been trying to research the pros and cons of rubber boots. I need to get some footwear and am stuck on this dilemma. I get cold feet easily and currently have a pair of regular boots with 200gr. Thinsulate that i use year around. I have been told that rubber boots are the way to go for scent control but are they worth it in the warmth and comfort department? Do your feet stay wet with perperation all day, thus making your feet colder? They would be used for treestand hunting and for the occassional push.

Thanks for your help

Walt

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wont hunt without them.They will keep your feet warm if you get the right ones.I wear the burly 800s,when it gets cold i wear boot blankets over them.No problem staying warm on pushes.Your feet do sweat a little in them but its not a big problem.As far as scent,they only work if you dont wear them in your vehicle.I carry them in a tote and put them on when im ready to hunt.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought a pair of Red Head Bone Dry rubber bottom Neoprene top boots several years ago. They don't wear like "normal" rubber boots. They feel kinda like a leather boot. They have, I think, 200gr Thinsulate. I get cold feet as well and was worried about that, but like you...wanted to take care of foot "stink" in the woods! LOL...Regardless, I love them and rarely get cold feets so long as I wear expedition weight socks. I bought several pair of the wool/polyester blend HEAVY socks from Cabelas. And if push comes to shove, I tape a hot hands (so the like) to the top of my socks which works great. I don't wear them to walk much though. I much prefer my danners for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
They can get hot especially on long walks. I always take an extra pair of socks with me to change into when I near my stand. I allow enough time for my feet to dry and my boots to cool down before putting them back on.

I use scentless (or so they say) rightguard spray on my feet and put baking soda in my boots. The spray slows sweating and the baking soda keeps me feet cooler longer. I let my boots outside overnight so they are as cold as possible when I put them on.

As for comfort, Muck boots are the best I've used.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Walt ,I got a pair of Muck field blazers last year and wore them from archery through rifle season.Very comfortable and lightweight.My feet sweat terribly and with a pair of lightweight socks they worked fine for archery.
Muck boots only come in full sizes so I ordered up which allows for an extra pair of wool blend socks in colder weather.
As Hightine mentioned carrying an extra pair of socks to change after a long walk is a great idea.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
muck boots are the way to go. mine kept me warm during the winter last year hunting bobcats. but once they get sweated up inside make sure they dry. or they will make your feet cold. I only noticed this when I stuck em outside after hunting all day and then went back out at night. but other then that they are good boots. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another pair.

·
4,242 Posts
I have the Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1200 for cold weather and I have the Dream Season ones for early season. (IMO, the Dream Season boots are extremely comfortable. I bought them on clearance in the Bargain Cave for $65, they had a "scuff on the toe" couldn't pass it up.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a pair at Aldi's of all places, the other day, for $39.99, 1000 Gram, can't tell any difference between them and the Field and Stream boots at Dicks that sell for $99

·
Registered
452 Posts
Whoa! At Aldis? Which one? heck, I don't care about the quality, i'd buy a pair just to have a trapping/worming/rain pair for that price!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I use a pair of Itasca, not the best or most expensive, but they are great for deer hunting and turkey hunting.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I was looking at them but i cant bring myself to buy a pair yet. The good ones are pretty expensive. Ive got leather scentblocker boots now and they work great. I leave them outside and put them on when i get to my hunting spot and ive never had problems. I even spray them down and rub the soles real good in the dirt before i walk in. Rubber has a very distinct and strong smell to it and i dont know how scent free that would actually be, especially when your feet end up sweating and stinking like crazy if you do any significant amount of walking. I know alot of guys are wearing them now and they seem to be the new thing, but i wonder if they are really all that necessary. The ones that i have tried on felt to be really confortable, most are pretty bulky though. If you take the steps necessary to make sure there is nothing on your boots then you should never leave a scent trail to your stand when walking in.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
all i wear is rubber boots. my feet stay dry no matter what. i cross creeks and walk through soaking wet bean fields and alfalfa fields, i wouldnt wear anything else. my first pair was 1000 gram, never again. i have uninsulated now, i drop a hot pack in my boot when i get to my stand.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Which magazine did a test with a tracking dog a few years ago?
The dog busted the hunter at a crazy long distance in a tree stand. Also followed his trail in rubber and leather boots equally. It was eye opening, maybe not to which boot is better, but more that scent is really important.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have a pair of foam insulated LaCross boots from many years ago. Keep my feet pretty darned warm and I've hunted some very cold temps.

Bought some Muck boots last winter, I'm actually afraid they are gonna be uncomfortably warm. Sweated last winter in the things while shoveling snow.

It is nice not to have to worry about wet feet. Go anywhere pretty much with the Lacross'

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Buck whisperer. I was thinking exactly what you were saying about the odor of rubber boots the other day. I was in Cabelas and had been thinking about buying rubber boots for archery. They had these so called "Scent Free" boots on the racks. They stunk to high heavens. I left without buying any boots. How long does it take for that rubber smell to go away?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
bought proline 1000grm thinsulate camo rubber boots last year on sale for 80$ and they were junk. I have a pair of uninsulated camo boots from walmart that my uncle gave me that are alot better and are lasting through everything, also have a pair of industral rubber boots that have steel toes I got for 5 dollars that are alot better.
will be getting a new pair so I think I will look at the muck boots this weekend.

one thing I can say is any pair of rubber boots is better than having to retie laces all day and having wet feet all day.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Muck boots are pretty costly man. Laces are a pain, but i dont take my boots off and put them on too often when im hunting and I never get wet feet in my leather boots. Unless water comes in over the top that is. They are waterproof almost to the top. I may end up getting a pair of rubbers but it wont be for scent reasons. Im hunting a swamp this year and i was thinking about putting a climber up on the other side of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts