The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realatively new to trap shooting and I am a right handed shooter but left eye dominant. I have been able able to shoot with some success by closing my left eye and shooting the shotgun like a rifle. I have also tried starting with two eyes open then close the left eye just prior to shooting but that is a lot of
moving parts in a short amount of time.
Has anyone had success with the crossfire eliminator vari site or by using a spot on the shooting glasses to block out the dominant eye from taking over?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can cover the dominant eye piece of your shooting glasses or as I have done shoot left handed. I am 64 and have been shooting lefthanded since a drill Sgt told me I was left eye dominant and turned me around. Yes I actually shoot better left handed so you might want to gi8ve it a try.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My son is right handed but left eye dominate. We switched him at 12 and he has not looked back. If you’re new to the game, I would recommend you at least try switching to your left shoulder. If you can pull it off it will save you a ton of heartburn. If you must stay on your right try a Magic Eye Dot (http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot)

This is a video of my son shooting skeet last Saturday in the snow. (http://instagram.com/p/xZzETnmPE1/) If you know anything about the game of skeet you’ll know that 2 shots on low 8 means a perfect round. Again, try switching. If you can pull it off you’ll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I tried switching, and couldn't do it. Putting the gun up lefty, and looking down the barrel is amazing, but I just couldn't do it after all these years shooting right. Not only am I left eye dom. I also only have 20/40 vision in my right eye, even with glasses, so my targets are always a little blurry. I just close my left eye, and shoot. It is a disability when shooting, but I been doing it so long, i'm used to it, and can hold my own. I'm a decent shot at ducks and geese, and I shoot trap now and then. I'm not an expert at trap by any stretch, but I have got lucky and run 100 straight one time, and done a few 50 straight. But my normal average is about 22/25. I'm happy with that, i'm shooting for fun, no league or registered targets or anything.

I always wished I could shoot left handed, the targets are so clear!! That would be my first thing to tell you to try.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My youngest son was also right handed/left eye dominant and we convinced him to begin shooting left handed at fifteen. Helped his shooting right away, and he has become a good skeet shooter. It took no time at all really for him to make the right to left handed adjustment with the gun.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Since you are a new shooter, learn how to shoot left handed. Simplest way to go about it. Avoid the dot, chap stick, etc on the glasses. Your brain will find a way to "look around" the obstruction and you'll be back at square 1 with a whole new set of issues.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good advise from Stack and others, Swicth if you can.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am left eye dominant. I do everything right handed except shoot a long gun. When I started shooting I shot right handed on got really frustrated because I couldn't hold a group. My dad suggested I try shooting left handed and I haven't looked back. If you can switch now you won't be sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm right-handed AND right-eye dominant but I grew up learning to shoot from either side...probably because my dad was a lefty. I prefer to shoot long guns left-handed and do so 95% of the time. I find that I have much better control of the shotgun or rifle supporting it with my right-hand. I do prefer a tang safety on my guns though. I shoot a handgun right-handed.

Since you are already left-eye dominant, I'd give an honest try to learning to shoot left handed.

Shooting is the only activity that I do left-handed and I've been a diehard hunter for over 50 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts