The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2011/11/use_pa_marcellus_shale_lease_r.html

third of our state forest — 700,000 acres — is available for natural gas production. The commonwealth owns the mineral rights to 400,000 of those acres and will receive royalty payments from gas production there. Revenues are difficult to project because the market price of gas, the pace of drilling and other factors will affect the size and timing of receipts. But it’s likely that $100 million in royalty payments could flow annually to the commonwealth soon, and much more at peak production, before tailing off years from now

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Timber, royalties are great!! The only issue with the State getting this $$ is it'll probably go into the general fund and get frittered away on Philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, York, Scranton, etc. Guaranteed the PGC, PFBC and DCNR will only see a minute percentage of the funds.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't expect the PGC or the PFBC to get funds, but certainly DCNR should share in the royalties...

As the article suggests I hope the State doesn't fritter the monies away...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would thing the PGC and PFBC would receive all royalties on lands they own/manage; though I am sure the state would weasel in on it if they haven't already.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep...I wouldn't want the PGC to split the royalties they receive from gamelands, should go right to Game fund; nor expect the State to share the royalties from State Forest with PGC.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The difference between State forest lands and state game lands for me is the source of the funds to make the original purchase. State forest lands were generally bought with general fund money, therefore owned by the residents of Pennsylvania. State gamelands generally bought with license dollars or P-R funds, therefore owned by the PGC, representing the hunters of Pennsylvania.
DCNR royalties go to general fund. PGC royalties stay with the PGC.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Looks like so far we're all in agreement with where the $$ should stay. The unfortunate part is common sense and right/wrong are absent from government. Guaranteed most, if not all of the $$ will be wasted on pork, cronyism and failed programs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts