The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try to use diluted roundup this year. I read that Ed Spin says .5 cup of Gly per gallon of water. Question is what percentage of Gly is that original concentration? I have seen concentrated Gly sold between 18 to 50 percent.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Try your luck in the habitat forum. More guys that do it more often are found there. But for me 1 cup per 4 gal backpack sprayer kills most vegetation that is not a long rooted vine with one application. 1/2 cup per 4 gal in my opinion would still kill or hurt clover. This is using a 41% concentrate. The rule is 2 ounce per gal = 2% spray. The 1/2 cup would be 1%
I have heard of guys using roundup before green up to kill weeds and guys use it on Bermuda grass before it greens. But I never tried it. Make sure you check the WHEN it is done before trying it on green. Also try a small area and if the temp is right give it a little better than a week to start seeing results. Best to ask in the habitat forum. Waugh!

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
I know many people use the diluted gly for clover maintenance. Never tried it myself. It should only be done on an established plot as it will setback the clover a little. I have used clethodim for controlling grasses. You can also use butyrac 200? I believe to control broadleafs in clover. You should probably post this down in the habitat forum to get more response.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
The guys that use Gly to kill weeds in clover use 1 oz of 41% Gly per gallon of water. As cspot said, it should only be done on established clover that is not stressed (getting plenty of rain). They use the light dose of Gly as opposed to Butyrac 200 because it's typically a much cheaper option, and it kills both grasses and broadleaf weeds.

As others have noted, mowing regularly will allow the clover to choke out the other competition....and keep any weeds from going to seed and getting worse.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to kill all but the clover.
Than don't use round up. depends what you want killed. 24D or Slay. Round up attacks all vegetation equal. Waugh!
I have used diluted gly in the past on clover. It stunts it at worst and it grows in thicker than ever before. Kills off other grasses and weeds. I just can't find the dilution I used before.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sprayed my plot yesterday. Some folks suggested using 1 oz of 41 percent concentrate GLY per gallon of water. I used .75 oz of 41 percent GLY per gallon of water. Slightly more diluted. The final concentration of GLY in the gallon sprayer that went on the clover was .24%. Most ready to use GLY sprays sold in the stores are between 1% and 2% GLY. My spray was much, much weaker. It might not do anything at all.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know how much GLY you used per acre?

Also, do you notice any increased usage after the clover comes back?
I will calculate that once I get a better measurement. Very small plot...I didn't saturate the vegetation by any stretch.

Last time I sprayed GLY on my plot deer seemed to be eating it before it dried. I also had on several other occasions deer walk across the plot to eat weeds beside the plot that had wet GLY on them. I was shocked...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know many people use the diluted gly for clover maintenance. Never tried it myself. It should only be done on an established plot as it will setback the clover a little. I have used clethodim for controlling grasses. You can also use butyrac 200? I believe to control broadleafs in clover. You should probably post this down in the habitat forum to get more response.
This is wise advice. Butryac is 24-DB, and is safe on clover. Domyown.com has good prices on Clethodim. Ensure you are applying the correct amount of herbicide per sq ft. Don't just mix to a certain percentage and spray away.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know how much GLY you used per acre?
Very tough to calculate based on small plot size. But my calculation when I scaled it to an acre was very close to 1 quart of 41 percent GLY per acre. In actuality I used one gallon of diluted GLY for a small plot. That gallon had .75 oz of 41 percent concentrate of GLY...

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've always used Arrow and Butrac on clover. But it's kind of expensive so I may try a low dosage of GLY when my current supply of Arrow and Butrac runs out.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts