The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses or used roundballs and what success or problems have you had? I use them, but have yet to connect on a deer.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I use PRB (patched round ball) in my flinter. Never had a problem with them in terms of killing power and accuracy. If you are talking about a round ball from a smooth bore, well then, that is an entirely different matter.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I used maxis until i ran out and had a lot of roundballs so I started using them and last year I swore that I had hit one and couldn't find blood she took off like a shot and her tail was down like she was hit I thought for sure I had hit her I heard from some that they don't bleed out right away with roundballs Idk I never shot one with the flintlock aways had a bad flinch until last year I finally got over it

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My main roundball rifle is a .50 with a 30" barrel; 80-90 grains of 2f and sighted 1" high at 50 yards to be dead on at 75 and a little over 2" low at 100. Deer shot under about 60 yards go down within a 75 yards usually if the shot is true. I have chased em quite a ways if I take a shot at longer range and the shot was found to be true to aim in most cases. I tend not to shoot over 75 yards with my current roundball rifles. If I were to go with a .54 caliber it might be better but I can't say as I have never tried it.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
In the past I have killed deer with Maxis,Powerbelts,and Round Ball in various calibers.
All I use now is Round Ball.Have yet to find a deer that will live with a hole in its heart or lungs if you put one there.
I have found the RB to be the most accurate,flat shooting,and economical projectile to shoot out of my flints or percussion muzzys.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
PRB's are very accurate and have good killing power. I currently do not use them in my .54 because the T/C Maxi Hunters are shooting very good and are very easy to load. The PRB is a great choice!!
Dave

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've shot two deer so far with .530 Hornady roundballs and each have done their job. Both were shot in the heart. The second one went through the shoulder and broke a rib on the far side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts