The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a simple but delicious recipe for round steak. Equally as good with venison.

Ingredients:

1- whole thin cut round steak. 1/4" to 1/2"
7- cloves garlic chopped small
flour
salt
pepper

Peel and chop garlic. The more garlic the better.

This steak is a little thicker than I would normally use, but it's getting harder and harder to find thin cut round steak. It wasn't to long ago you could get it for $.69 per pound on sale. Now I consider myself lucky if I can get it for $3.69 on sale.

Coat the steak with flour and with a BIG meat hammer beat the living daylights out of it. Flip it over and repeat. You can get cubed steak from the store but it is no where near as tender as when you beat it. Plus the flour beat in to the meat gives it a great texture. (it might help to think of that guy on HPA that told you you were holding the fish out in front of you to make it appear larger in the picture you posted)

In a heavy pan heat oil and garlic

Cut steak into serving size pieces and fry. Salt and pepper to taste. It will cook fast and it is better if it doesn't crisp. Turn over and finish cooking. Approx. 1-1.5 minutes.

When all steak is cooked set aside and drain excess oil from pan. Return the pan to heat and deglaze with beef stock. Once deglazed, thicken with flour and water or corn starch. Salt and pepper gravy to taste. This gravy is excellent for mashed potatoes or boiled baby reds.

MMMMMMM....MMMMM... One steak will feed two people easily.

Dinner is served!

I always prep the steak outside. The flour can get messy when pounding. The steak frying process is real quick so I prep it and set in the fridge while getting potatoes started.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
"Pounding the heck out of it". Sounds like a good job for the kid while I start the corn, sliced tomatoes and 'tators. Thanks for the simple recipe. Man am I hungry.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
You need some corn holders

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
That has been given the pre-chewed treatment.

Try giving it the pre-digested treatment.

in a stainless steel bowl, mix a tblsp brown suger, 1 tssp chopped garlic, 3 tblspn cider vinegar, 1 tblspn prepared mustard, 3 tablspn soy sauce and 2 cups pineapple juice. When thoroughly mixed submerge the round steak in it for 24 hours and then grill slowly over a low fire.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ivan,
tried yor receipt and it was as you said just great,i had fried squash and onion's with it instead of corn.
thanks for dinner idea....

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
that ear of corn looks SCRUMPTIOUS...and would be one of the ears I did not waste the time of cooking. I'd eat that sucker raw, right on the spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts