The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt to try my hand at some flintlock hunting this late season. So with that being said I'm very green.

I just purchased some hornady .495" rounder balls and 0.010 lubricated patches. Is this still ok for a 50cal?

I also got some 320gr maxi-balls to try as well. I figureD with my 1:48 twist it could like either one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I shoot .495 balls with a .018 patch, when you shoot it, find a patch and see if it has burn marks where the rifling is. If it loads easy you mite need a thicker patch. My flinter likes round balls the best, I tried many different combo's and rb's shoot the best, Can touch holes at 50 yds off the bench.
My best load is 90 gr of 2f with .495 ball and .018 patch. I got a few deer with this combo and they dont go more than 50 to 75 yards.

Good luck, Stant

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Your patch will be about 5-8yds from where you shoot.It should look like you could reuse it.No holes.
I would say that .010 is TOO thin and will give unclean burn and blowby.
TC usually like .015-.018 patch.If using those .495 RB's try the .015 patch.
Lyman rifling is cut deeper and like .018-.022.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Time to hit the range and work up an accurate load that you can use in the field. Too many variables to get the right answer through words alone.
Make haste - the time draws near when Primitive firearms season starts.

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
It'd be a pain in the butt....

I'm trying to remember back to when I ran a round ball in my TC Renegade. I know I ran 0.490 balls, but I'm trying to remember the patch. I think....THINK...it was an 0.015. I think.

495's and an 010 might work. Won't know till you try it. What are you going to lubricate the patches with?

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
Well, you have 'em, so try 'em. See what you get. If it's no good, then get a thicker patch. I'd probably go to a 015 and see what that does, if the 010's aren't looking good. That's a pretty thin patch, but if you already got 'em, won't hurt to try 'em.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Get yourself some .018 pillow ticking and lube and cut the patch yourself. Both my flintlocks seem to like the patching that I have to cut better than the precut ones. Why that is I don't know or understand, but that is my observation.

If you've got shallow groove rifling, then the. 010 might work well enough for you. If the rifling is deep cut, then I'd definitely try thicker patch material.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Well, you have 'em, so try 'em. See what you get. If it's no good, then get a thicker patch. I'd probably go to a 015 and see what that does, if the 010's aren't looking good. That's a pretty thin patch, but if you already got 'em, won't hurt to try 'em.

Worse comes to worse he can use them for cleaning patches when at the range.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darn

Well, we'll see what today's adventure at the range produces. I also have some 320gr maxi-balls to try.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never used a flintlock before.

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
Since you're shooting 495 balls, I think you at least stand a chance of it shooting well, but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't. Some guns just do what they do and all the predictions in the world don't predict it.

Take cleaning supplies. I've shot Hornady Great Plains bullets (sort of similar idea to a maxiball) in a Great Plains Rifle. 4 shots at most and it needed to be swabbed. Not cleaned like it was being put in storage, but the fouling needed to be knocked out to reload it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was planning on running dry patches through it to swab in between every couple shots. Do you think this is adequate enough?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I run a spit patch (toss it in my mouth to wet it) followed by a dry patch after each shot, just to keep every shot consistent.

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
I don't think you'll need that for PRB's, but make sure to take note if the clean bore shot hits with the fouled shots. That doesn't always happen, and you're primarily concerned with the clean bore shot, obviously.

You can just spit-soak patches and clean with them. It won't get it sparkling clean, but will get it "good enough" to keep shooting. Dry patches probably won't (for maxiball shooting, anyway).

Dry patch after wet patches, of course.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
you say the first 3 shots, what was the group after that, if you shot more? if that patch is from that group, its working. I have seen guns throw torn up patches like that and still shoot well. would be interested in seeing the ones from that actual group.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That picture of the patch is from the third shot of that group. I couldn't find the first and second, but I caught a glimpse of the patch flutter down. So u knew eight where to find it.

The grouping stayed consistent. It might of started to spread and get a little wider, but not by much. I lowered my rear sight one tick mark because I was shooting roughly 4in high at 50yds. My next shot at 50 was maybe 2 inched high. Since I was running out of daylight I took a shot at 75yd and was 3 inches off of my mark. I blame this mostly on me. I'm not a huge fan of that white front bead. Especially since my targets have a white background.

Overall, I feel confident.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
my new .62 will throw patches like that now and then, but the group stays good. I've put about 75 rounds through it in the last 2 months and I'm going to leave it alone. its shoots fine out to 100 yards. with the season on top of us, I think I would keep it as is for now, unless you have the time to sort it out.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
If I have a gun that cuts a patch like that I lap the bore,reshoot,and if its still torn I go thicker.That Deer Stalker will give you less than 1 1/2" at 50yds.
Remember...it's that 1st shot out of a clean barrel that counts!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts