The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hawkins 50 cal. Flintlock.I have been shooting round balls & patch, using 90gr. Of 3fg powder. I don't have may round balls left (.490 ) I was thinking of changing to maxi balls. Any suggestions on gr. Of Powder etc.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Round ball has been killing things a lot longer than a Maxiball.

Cheaper too!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I have killed deer with RB's and maxis.Both work fine.None were any more dead than the other.I feel the RB is the most accurate and the SAFEST to shoot.Don't have to worry about shifting off the charge if you carry muzzle down or blowby that maxis can give.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i killed a bit of deer with a patch n ball...

it shoots accurate in my rifle...

ive since gone to a Buffalo Ball-et...dont think they are being made anymore...going to have to try the PA conical as they look to be the same thing...

basically a roundball with a skirt..or a REALLY small conical...

i think the Ball-ets are 245gr and the PA conicals are 240 off the top of my head...

i found in my rifle the Ball-et with 70gr of powder and the patch n ball with 90gr shoots the same point of impact...dont know how i figured that out but it works for me!

why i switched?? i wasnt getting pass throughs with roundballs...with the ball-et i do...no exit hole with a roundball made for some really shooty blood trails...without snow on the ground it was plain out tough sometimes to even figure out if it was a hit or a miss...

just my preference...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts