The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all thinking of getting a RB mold from Ebay it is a Lee .530 cal2 cavity mold with the handles. Pros, and cons welcome

thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Good molds. They heat up fast. One thing to watch out for is to not overheat them. This will warp them. I usually do two sizes when I make balls. Do maybe 50-60 then change molds. Lee will stand behingd their products

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
Lee mold blacks are aluminum. Treated well they will cast more than you could ever use. watch the sprue cutter plate. They are hardened steel and can score the top of the mold blocks. Always use a piece of wood to knock the sprue cutter and not a metal hammer. If you can find an old clamp on handle for the sprue cutter tab, so you use your hand to open it, that is even better, but hard to find.

I usually drop the balls onto an inclined board that is covered with a few layers of cloth. The ball hits the rag and rolls down into a wide flat container/tray. Less bumping and deformity. I usually mold about a 100 and switch off. to another mold, and then back again. If it is a frequently used size, I may mold up enough to fill a 1 lb coffee can at one mold session.

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
Did you buy it new? If so, how much are they and does he have any more?

Thanks-Jack

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
At any one time, flea bay probably has 300 molds for sale. But also check Midway. One of the sponsors of Huntingpa I think. Sometimes items can be purchased cheaper from Midway.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I like the steel molds over the aluminum.I have both but the steel molds hold the heat better and I get next to no voids with steel.Aluminum heats up quicker and also cools quicker.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was new and I am not really sure how many more that they have. This is my first shot at pouring balls we shall see how it pans out

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was new and I am not really sure how many more that they have. This is my first shot at pouring balls we shall see how it pans out

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Make sure you do your casting in a well ventilated area. Lead poisoning can be very nasty.

I just purchased a brass mold, I am interested to see how they will work out.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i am planning on casting in my garage with the door open

1 - 12 of 12 Posts