The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading about round bales on here. Have some at the farm I trap at. Would you do a dirt hole set or something else? Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not to take away the question in your thread but I have a farm with plastic rolled round bales and you could see in the dust where fox would jump up on the bales for a better vantage point. I like to make my sets where whatever the visual is...dirthole, flat set backing, whatever it is I like to make sure they can spot it easily if they were on top of those bales.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I second what Andrew said. I've seen many times in the snow where fox have hopped across a row of round bales. When setting around round bales I usually forget the bales and concentrate on how they are getting there and make my sets on location keeping wind direction in mind.... In other words, I rarely use the bale itself as the the actual point of interest for the set. But, i do know that these areas get hunted for mice so I will try to figure out how the critters are getting there. The stall out area or intersection is usually not too far off. That's where I will make my set. Now, a round bale in the middle of a 50 acre field, I couldn't tell ya. By the time I start trapping the farmers usually have them piled up on the edges somewhere...... And ya, dirtholes for me. Especially for fox...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts