The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked on a video/written article series this past year with HuntNunt.com, Groundbuster Food Plot Impliments and Rough Ridge.

All 3 of these companies are owned and operated right here in PA!!!

We started with a piece of ground that had never been worked. It was a clearing in the woods that was left to just grow up in brush for the past three years.

First we prepared the soil and planted a stand of oats for the summer.

In early to mid August we disked the plot under and planted a annual blend from Rough Ridge called Big Buck Binge ( A barassica blend).

Here are a few pictures from before we started back in late march and of the 1 month old brassica plot on Sept. 15th

Keep in mind that we did this plot using no herbicides and no fertilizers due to the fact the area we planted in an all organic area.

Here is a link to the articles and some of the video we worked on. http://www.huntnutmagazine.com

All that is left to do know is wait for Oct. and take a deer of this plot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shady said:
Cool. Just watched the video. Looks good, hope you smack one. Are you going to video your hunts as well?
Yeah I will be videoing the hunts over that plot this fall. Gonna start out the season with my oldest son hunting there then I will be in the stand as well with a cameraman filming me.
Glad you liked the video. I really learned alot about how to properly put in a food plot this year. It really is much more than just throwing down some seed and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Didn't watch the vid., but it looks impressive for no fertilizer or spray. Bet there was a good bit of lime applied right ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We applied lime in March at the rate of 2 to 3 ton per acre. We then soil tested in July and had a ph of 6.5.

The video shows the first ground preparation we did and the liming.

I also believe in cover cropping for the first planting. It really helps prepare the soil by loosing up the ground with its roots and attracting the organisms like worms and such which further help loosen the ground.

Also a fast growing oats helps keep your weeds down. Then it gives great organic material to disk right back into the ground.

You can see in the pics that there is some oats coming through the plot also.

The plan is next spring to plant a perennial blend. This will be the 3rd crop so the soil should be ready and we should have a good plot for a few years to come.

I think the biggest things I took from this project was that building quality soil before you spend money on expensive seed is very important and that you can really save money on herbicides and fertilizers by incorporating your organic material into the ground instead of killing it and dragging it away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.