The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had surgury to repair a rotator cuff tear in august and sitll in P.T., my question is the recoil from a 44 mag handgun on my shoulder area. Hunting with a rifle might be out. hoping someone who has had this procedure could give me some input, or just any opion on shooting experience shooting a 44 mag handgun. my surgeon does'nt shoot so he did'nt have any idea. thankyou .............Larry

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I shoot a .44 mag SRH- I don't feel anything in my shoulder. I have bursitus in my left shoulder that I can feel when holding the gun for long periods of time...
If recoil is an issue- buy a muzzle break and get a piston recoil pad on a rifle.
I had my .44 ported- it is a heavy frame gun with almost no kick.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
"I had my .44 ported- it is a heavy frame gun with almost no kick."

I can't imagine the muzzle blast!, what do you wear over or in your ears while hunting?

·
Registered
953 Posts
well idk about these guys but i got a 44 super redhawk and it kicks like a mule. id just shoot it lefty if i ahd a bad right shoulder

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
After having the same surgery, I was told by my doctor recoil wasn't a concern. He said it might not be comfortable but it wouldn't damage the surgery. (I'm right handed and had my right shoulder operated on) His biggest concern was me falling and trying to catch myself with the arm I had surgery on. I decided to pass on spring gobbler that year to be safe.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Your handgun will recoil up more than back so it really shouldn't affect your shoulder no matter how powerful.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Another option would be a light recoil rifle. I broke my collar bone in May and was shooting a 22 cal rifle within 5 weeks. Would think you would be fine with a 223 or 22-250 for hunting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i had the same surgery i Aug. also i hope to be ok for the gun season did you have your tendons cut and pined too.
lots of luck and heal fast

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had to shoot a handgun left handed for deer season when I ripped mine. It sounds like you should be in good shape for rifle season if you had your surgery in august. It is generally 8 to 12 weeks for full recovery. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
IMO. I have had partial torn RC. if you had surgery in Aug, Come november/ december that should be adequate time to remove my concerns. If I was hesitant I would take some good advice offered here. Buy a muzzle break, also a recoil pad. You can buy them that go under your clothing. I have shot a .270 with one in the summer when shooting in a T-shirt. Helps with the recoil and simulates more clothing at the same time. I do not think that a single shot will do any damage. However repeated shooting like that of sighting in a gun would. Take it slow and enjoy the season. All of this advice comes from someone who had a foot in a cast and told to stay off my feet for 30 days until they could do surgery on a torn tendon. That did not happen. Was still in a tree stand with a bow. Took 1 turkey and 2 deer while in that cast. So I would say go for it

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
If you are set on using a pistol and have the funds, why not buy an Thompson Contender set up with a lighter round like 30/30 or a 357 or even get a 357 revolver.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Sharkbait said:
Another option would be a light recoil rifle. I broke my collar bone in May and was shooting a 22 cal rifle within 5 weeks. Would think you would be fine with a 223 or 22-250 for hunting.
DPMS, being a therapist, would have more knowledge of this than I do, but having gone through the same sort of thing (rotator cuff surgery), I concur with this one. I think you should try a .243 Win. The recoil is slight, the round is powerful enough to kill deer cleanly, and you won't be shooting it at game for another month or so which will give you more time to heal. You should be fine with your handgun also.

The rehab for rotator cuff surgery is a bear, but you should be seeing real improvement by now. I'm sure you are doing the rubber band stuff religiously. It isn't fun, but it works.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Last June 27 I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. They cut back bone & bone spurs, stitched the RC & put some plastic anchors to re attach things. The last week of rifle season I was able to shoot a low recoiling rifle. I was able to shoot a doe that day. I was not able to start shooting bow until march. I hope this helps with a time schedule of what some one else was able to do.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Seeking advice from a non-medical site is like getting personal advice from one of the old "lovelorn" newspaper columns.

I found there is not any absolute advice on each person.

Between the injury and the work performed in therapy, every one is different. Your doctor and physical therapists are best. Individually, look for ball park figures on your injury.

Some can recover quicker, and some do it poorly. Your medical people have seen it all. They can't paint one picture.

On my injury/illness, it covers all things, it seems, from non experts. Uncle Jed was bedridden five years and died; some it seems. some one they knew, recovered quickly. I did well to amaze some people. It was a mixed bag according to people and their limited experience. And I was attempting to avoid advice at all costs.

I went on my own and worked on what I had to do, by myself. I just finished my recovery walk in the park. I notice a lot of the energized walkers lost their energy dieting for weight reduction, once the weather turned colder than 50 degrees. I guess weight losing is off until the warm weather returns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts