The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you ATV with plow owners which system do you prefer. I recently purchased a used quad with a more than I realized used winch rope. While plowing it broke twice. Easy to repair but I was wondering which is really more durable?

Should I replace the rope with new rope or get cable and make sure I treat it with oil on a frequent basis?

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I use a Warn with 50' 3000 lb.nylon belt. Never a issue with plow or getting unstuck.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
After messing with the factory cable on both my winches I replaced them with synthetic winch ropes.... no more kinked cables for me. I run 3/8" and buy mine on ebay.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a rope on my ranger with the automatic shutoff. it works great but I have cables on my other quads. both have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. After evaluating and considering, I chose to get cable and make sure I do regular maintenance. More importantly, the dealer also gave me a roller which wasn't on the quad.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
RZRhunter said:
I have a rope and it works great, Cables tend to get slightly frayed and always stab into your fingers.
I keep gloves in the bed in case I have to handle the cable. I think that is cables biggest downside.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I notice that you had no fairlead roller when you bought your atv? That alone would cause a rope or cable to go bad quickly.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They make short sections of synthetic winch rope just for plowing . Attaches to the end of the wire cable . Just saw them at Rural King and Tractor Supply .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts