The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we were kids, my buddy's dad would dig Ginseng, and my and my buddy would walk the woods looking for that and one other plant, but I can't remember the name of it.

It's been one of those things that's been gnawing at me for a while now and I thought maybe someone here would be able to give me a hand. I think it was Mary something or something Mary? (no, not Mary Jane.
)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not golden seal. I really don't remember much about it. To be honest, we never found enough to do anything with, but it kept a couple of 10 year olds busy for days on end walking the woods.

It had 3 broad leaves with a flower in the middle. I would have swore it was Mary or Mary Beth something...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sarsaparilla.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bucket said:
Not golden seal. I really don't remember much about it. To be honest, we never found enough to do anything with, but it kept a couple of 10 year olds busy for days on end walking the woods.

It had 3 broad leaves with a flower in the middle. I would have swore it was Mary or Mary Beth something... [/
quote]

Do you remember the color of the flower?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Bucket said:

It had 3 broad leaves with a flower in the middle. I would have swore it was Mary or Mary Beth something...
Would it happen to be DWARF Ginseng?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BETHROOT!

I was on my way home last night and it popped in my head like my own name. Funny how the brain works...or doesn't work in my case.

I think the flower was white. Like I said, I don't really remember finding enough to amount to anything, but looking for it turned into a lot of long days in the woods doing other things.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm glad you thought of it - that stuff sticks with you a long time! I'm surprised I never heard of it. I took a lot of herbs with my pregnancies and it's supposed to be good for childbirth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts