The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my summer squash was wilting and then dying. I dug around the stem near the ground and there is a hole eaten into the stem. I found a small maggot or worm at the site of the hole. Is this root maggot and how do I kill it. What can I use to get rid of them? I used to Bayer dust on the leaves and on the ground near the stem. Thank you

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Those are vine borers. They bore holes near where the stem comes out of the ground. Once inside the stems there is no treatment. I do what you do and keep base of plant dusted or sprayed. I just sprayed sevin on main stems and saw a young squash bug. I always spray in evening when flowers are closed. Root maggots are in the ground and eat the roots, especially cole crops.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It is right at ground level. I bought some mix from Lowes today and mixed it up and covered the ground next to the stem. The squash had just started to blossom and then they would die. First time I ever had that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't treat the ground for these pests will it do any good to replant? I am saturating the ground around the squash and hope to do away with this problem. First time I ever had this happen to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts