The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 Generations Gather

One of the things I always enjoy in our local newspaper is when they print a picture from a recent event that says “Five Generations Gather” and show some happy smiles of folks brought together at a reunion or wedding or something of that nature. The first thing that I notice is that it is usually women iholding the two older generation slots (probably outliving their husbands as nature seems to have it), and also that one of the family members in the 5 is a newborn infant. I mean God bless them all, but then I think now there is one hard thing to pull off in the woods or at deer camp for a hunting family.

Taking a look at the numbers involved that would more than likely put one hunter in the group of 5 into their late 80-90’s and the other within their first year or so of their life, so it sort of knocks out the possibility of 5 generations right there. I am sure we do occasionally get up to four generations out there now and then, and perhaps that is why I am such a HUGE fan of the mentored hunter program here in PA, as it may put what I call a true hunting "grand slam", 4 generations hunting together, into reach for many many more families. Even at 40 years old I realize how much getting a few year head start on the hunting career for the young one can mean alot to the hunter on the other end of the age spectrum.

BTW, If anyone has had 4 or 5 generation hunting experiences out there I should would love to hear from them on this thread.

This weekend coming up will bring me to one of those magical 3 generation moments. I am many years off of having a try at a 4 but am gald to join the many that have had the blessing of being a part of a 3 Gen hunt. I was in one once before, but I was the youngster then, now I am the middle man and I am beginning to think that this may be the most special of all the stages. Sitting next to the man that you idolize, while having the one that idolizes you leaning back on you for support. Enjoying the spring woods together and all of you having that moment in your separate lives that met at the one place in the woods, at the trunk of that tree, sitting above roots that have been there for years, I mean how appropriate oand how symbolic on how we as hunters try to blend into natures ways.

Frankly my favorite part of this 3Gen hunt aren’t the hunting itself but usually the walking out of the woods afterwards, joking, laughing, rehashing the day’s events. Makes you look across this line of hunters and well up inside a bit. I am sure my Dad gets the same chill as I do, I mean he caused it all or at least did his part to keep it rolling along. Hearing your father tell your boy “I am proud of you kiddo” is a true hunting trophy for over any mantle, even if it was for nothing more than the youth showing an unprompted act of safety or caution all on his own.

I get worked up a bit on this stuff; because it always brings me back to a memory of a man I will no longer be able to hunt with. But I continue to keep faith that he is there beside us and perhaps even his Dad is there too , all leaning up against that tree that has lived the span of all those lives as we enjoyed the wodnerment of all that goes along with such things.

You know what?, perhaps this weekend when I take that picture of my dad, my boy and I all hunting together, under it I will write the caption “Five Generations Gather” , after all I am sure they are there, I know I always will be.

Be well, Get out there and hunt! And remember Dad's don't teach kids to hunt, so they can hunt alone.

·
Super Moderator
27,999 Posts
Hearing your father tell your boy “I am proud of you kiddo” is a true hunting trophy for over any mantle,

I've only had the privelidge of a few hunts with my dad and my son before Dad's death, but they were some memorable hunts. Even the non-hunting times provided some of those "proud of you kiddo" moments.

Best of luck to all three generations of Roosters this weekend!!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bcoz...here is to the sunrise.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Very nice Rooster. I never hunted with my dad, but I did hunt with my brother and Grandfather. My Grandfather has since given up hunting, fishing and going to Florida. He's got back problems and a new hip that still isn't right. And my brother, well, he's done hunting also. Now I don't hunt with any family, I really wish I did, but that just drives me all the more to teach and show my kids about hunting and the outdoors, so at least hopefully I'll get to hunt with them. And thankfully, I know they are young, they've taken an interest.

I'm just going to have to try and get my kids involved and then their kids and hope to live as long as possible. I didn't get married till I was 31 so I'm just a tad behind. Especially considering my Dad was only like 22 when I was born and his Dad was young also. I guess that type of arrangement was more prevelant back in them days, I don't know.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there with my kids. We're getting extremely close now!!

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Hope you guys have a great weekend and make lots of memories! I can still remember a hunt that included me and my brother, my dad, and my uncle. Basically it was just the four of us walking through the woods with .22's looking for squirrels, but I can still remember my uncle (who was in his 80's at the time) walking along telling us about things he experienced in the same woods when he was younger. It's actually one of my fondest memories of my uncle.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news..got here at dark and Dad was just getting in from listening and said he saw a nice group of birds moving across a hillside to the corner of the field we planned to hunt, only downside is we got some hens to compete with.....a buddy of his donated a nice blind to us to help with the cause. Thanks Dale if you are reading this, class act...

Good night guys morning wll come quick now , no that I can sleep after that great hockey game...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Rooster glad you had a safe trip down ,I guess I will have some comition on mahoning creek after your hopefully successful hunt tomorrow

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks feels good to be down here....DEER everywere down here
, must of seen 60 from Brrokville to here.

We will be on the Little Mo by 11 I figure..can't keep the other kids waiting too long to go fish.

G'night all~ig day tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
John, that is very special. Family, and especially the ties you got, is the most precious thing this earth has to offer us. And taking advantage of it is what you gotta do. And doing so in the outdoors is cream of the crop for sure. Enjoy the "spring seasons" with your family, and hope all goes well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts