The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted this lad on my way to work this morning. I live about 3 miles from the edge of the WPRA. I don't know where this guy came from but by the look of his spurs, he's been around since last year. I have regular reports from my neighbors of birds in the area and I think they are moving in from the WPRA. This bird also has a yellow eye. Better than 90%of the roosters at the PGC game farm have dark eyes. They are trying to select breed the yellow eyes back to the game farm birds. All wild birds have yellow eyes.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I caught him crossing the road between cover areas. He looks like he isn't too worried

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
He looks alot happier and free than this rooster on the way to work...

Great Stuff Lynn!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Almost looks like he was posing for the pictures!Keep them pictures coming!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice work Lynn, Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful birds Goldie. I was helping to band some of the PGC game farm birds and I noticed that most of them have dark eyes. They were selecting breeding stock for the next year and looking for yellow eyes and smaller build. One thing I've noticed is the wild birds from out weat are 20% or so smaller than our game farm birds. From what I am told, the American ringneck is unique in that it is a blend of different species of ringnecks making up it's own variety.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a sad update to the bird in the original picture. I spotted his lifeless body about 200 yards from where I took this picture. He managed to dodge all the wild predators but was no match for a one ton piece of steel going down the road at 50 mph. I pulled his tail feather and will keep it in my car to remind me of this magnificent bird. I cannot be sure this is the same bird but based on his location and spur size, it is pretty likely. Dang cars

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
That stinks! I was hoping the update was that he found a date...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may have counted out this rooster a little too quickly. Here is a pic from today at the same location of the last birds demise. I am pretty sure now that somebody is releasing these birds in this area. The tail on one of the birds looks like a game farm bird and they seemed pretty tame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts