The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I got mower happy. I was doing my final cut on my lawn and preparing it for winter. I got to the edge of my lower yard where i overseeded with oats and clover and decided to do a pass around the edge. The oats were about 5-6 inches in height and the fescue grass was a bit higher and folded over. The clover was real short and covered by the grass and oats. I liked how the cut let the clover have some light so I made another pass and another pass until all was cut to about 2.5 inches. The deer have all but abandoned the plot except for a few young ones here and there. This may be due to the intensity of the rut right now or did i screw up the plot? I have trail cams out on it now. I figured the oats will continue to grow with the mild temps and all the rain we got, but probably very slowly due to the time of year(amount of sun). What are your thoughts? Did I screw it up? The clover looks like it wil really take off come spring.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
As long as it stays mild I think the oats will bounce back fine. 2.5" isn't that short, so you should be OK. the clover will like being day lighted and should continue to grow as well. We haven't had any really heavy freezes yet. Once the first low 20's night comes, then things will shut down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts