The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
compound for me. I started with a crossbow and quickly decided i didn't like it. I didn't like to practice with it, i didn't like to haul it around with me in the woods, etc

I really want to get into shooting a longbow ... and i try to hunt like i have a traditional bow now - working to get as close as possible with a mobile set up, going with a heavier foc arrow. I think i will at some point get into the traditional side, but really don't even know what i don't know yet ... For now I'll stick with the compound & i'll go back to the crossbow when my shoulder tells me i have too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Compound and a recurve.

Bought the recurve as a training aid to make me stronger on the wall with the compound, but I'm have so much fun with it that it may get a few days in the woods this fall as well.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Current tally...

Crossbows = 15

Traditional = 8

Compound = 19

Got a pm for a crossbow :smiley-confused005:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Compound. I have a crossbow fund started , but this furlough is going
to kill it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Statistics =

Crossbows = 16

Traditional = 10

Compound = 23

Interesting. This is probably a fair demographic across the board of middle to upper aged males. Since younger people and females don't frequent message boards I'm sure the percentages would swing a bit. Statistically nationwide youngsters who start out with a crossbow usually switch to a compound by the age of 16, so it's probably impossible to get a completely accurate number. At least we kind of have an idea where we stand on HPA.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I’ll add compound and recurve. Started with recurve and killed 2 deer with it and missed plenty more. Absolutely love traditional, but love the Bowhunting sport even more, so it’s been all compound for me in the deer woods as of late.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am a hunter that uses all three. Last year killed one with compound and one crossbow. 3 yrs ago one with compound and One with recurve. One of these years gonna kill one with each. I do not like to be labelled by the killing implement i use. I am a hunter period.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts