The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
I'm old enough to have hunted pre compound but didn't have much success with recurves (course I hadn't gotten very good at deer hunting period in those days). Hunted most of my adult life with various compounds and was fairly successful. Today I'm all in on crossbows, although my independent hunting days are rapidly coming to a close due to infirmity.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I use my compound in 2 states, if it ain't broke they say....but I have a couple recurves and I'm gonna try to hunt with one this year some. I have used a crossbow and killed a few but I always pick up my compound when I want to hunt hard, for similar reasons you mention Tbrom, lighter, simpler than a crossbow. I been shooting one 36 years now and it is hard for me to imagine not hunting with one a large part of every fall.

Is that a Mathews FX on the wall? It looks a lot like my back up bow......

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
I use a compound but I keep it simple.I just use a simple two pin sight and a rest.I don't even have a stabilizer on my bow.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wonder why everyone's being so shy about what they hunt with?

Current tally...

Crossbows = 10

Traditional = 2

Compound = 10

Is that a Mathews FX on the wall? It looks a lot like my back up bow......
Q2 RegularJoe. It's about the same as the FX but the FX had a shorter ATA.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I made the switch from a compound to a crossbow the first season they were permitted in PA, I really liked hunting with my compound prior to my switch....much lighter and easy to carry in and out of the woods.

My success rate in archery remained the same with compound versus crossbow as I put a lot of effort to kill my buck in archery season, maybe its just me but I don't have the same success rate in gun season.

I started archery hunting in 1976 with a recurve bow for 3 years, in those 3 seasons I never killed a deer or took a shot at one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Been shooting a compound since my Pap bought me one when I was 8 years old. I have a recurve going on four years now. I enjoy practicing with it and I’m certain I could kill deer with it, but knowing my luck, the day I take it out is the day I see the deer of a lifetime walk by or hang up at 30 yards. Compound for me

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Current tally...

Crossbows = 12

Traditional = 3

Compound = 12

Keep em coming.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Compound for now. Still own and shoot two recurves and a custom self bow. When I retire and can put more time into practicing I will make the switch to all traditional. Full circle back to what I started with.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts