The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slinging a lot of arrows from longbows of late, but I haven't taken the plunge and ordered one yet. Now I'm thinking about getting this old gadget trap off the wall and sending some arrows down range with it. She's been hanging up there a good while. Was never much of a compound bow fan, but I owned a few and shot a good many critters with them. I much prefer the simplicity of traditional or even crossbows. You just pick them up and go hunt without worrying about all of the add on junk.

Anyway curious what the percentage of hunters on HPA use during archery season?

Crossbow
Traditional
Compound

Attachments

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Crossbow

Used a compound for the majority of my hunting life and plan on getting another for this year. I’m not saying I’ll never use the crossbow again.

I have always wanted to get a recurve to hunt with just never did it. I really respect the long bow and recurve guys.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Compound!!! Not changing to crossbow til my body dictates I do!

I shoot a longbow quite regularly but never hunted with it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Compound. Started with a crossbow hunting here around my house and shot a couple bucks from prehung ladder stands but started hunting mostly public land with a climbing stand and lugging a crossbow around was too cumbersome so I bought a compound for ease of use as far as mobility.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far we have...

Crossbows = 4

Traditional = 0

Compound = 4

·
Registered
668 Posts
Compound. Every year I eye up a crossbow to buy, but every year something else is bought instead. Doesn’t look like this year will be the year either due to an out of state hunt I’m planning.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Crossbow now. I would like to pick up a recurve and hunt with one again. Killed two back in the early 70s with a 35# Ben Pearson slinging cedar arrows with Bear razor heads. Don’t know what ever become of that bow.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Crossbow now. I would like to pick up a recurve and hunt with one again. Killed two back in the early 70s with a 35# Ben Pearson slinging cedar arrows with Bear razor heads. Don’t know what ever become of that bow.
WoW, that Bear razor head brings back memories! Shot my first archery buck around '75 with a compound and a bear razor head!
The last several years was buck kills a crossbow.
Chalk up another for crossbows. (I can't believe the price of some of the newer ones! I'll keep my old accurate slow one, lol)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Another crossbow hunter here... started back in the early seventies with recurves...hunted most of my adult life with a compound... switched to crossbow about 5 years now...I have a takedown recurve I try to shoot it once in a while...but as the old saying goes...you can't go back again.:smile2:

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Traditional bows only. I no longer hunt anything, not even woodchucks, but I do a lot of shooting with my longbows in the back yard.

Shooting a Port Orford Cedar shaft from a longbow is something special to me and them arrows smell great when being made or when they break. Wish I could find a Cedar air freshener.

I have a Bear Kodiak recurve but it just isn't as much fun as a any of the longbows I have.

Bear Ausable and a Leon Stewart are my go-to longbows.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Compound. Bought a Damon Howatt recurve years ago to become a trad hunter and actually got "OK" with it, but didn't feel proficient enough, and that ended that.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Compound. I always said I was going to buy a long bow but never have. I wouldn’t hunt with it but they look like it would be a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I hunted for 14 years with compound, until my shoulder started acting up, and have been hunting with a crossbow for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Compound. I always said I was going to buy a long bow but never have. I wouldn’t hunt with it but they look like it would be a blast to shoot.
You got to get close with a longbow. Like that old Peter Capstick saying "Get as close as you can and then get 5 yards closer."

That, I believe, was something he told clients who were hunting Cape Buffalo. But I think applies to hunting with a longbow.
:arrow:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Compound for me. I have a recurve that I enjoy shooting from time to time but I'm nowhere near where I need to be skill wise to hunt with it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts