The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to increase my on boat rod storage when I have more than myself on the boat. I was looking at something I could use but didn't have to drill for.

Cabela's has a Quick Stow rod storage that goes into the seat base. Looks good. Anyone have any experience with these? Or is there anything similar on the market?

Pic below: I'm looking at the standard model.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I have a pair of the same holder racks on my boat except they screw in instead of go into a seat base. I mounted them on either side of the motor well and they work slick as snot. Great place to stand a large landing net too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a picture or a brand name? I'd like to see how they are mounted.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
They are Cabela's brand.

I don't have a picture at the moment. But the rod tube cluster is the same as on your "standard" picture except that it's just the cluster........no post. They mounted with screws on either side of my outboard well.

I will get you a pic this weekend.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found them online, thanks for the information. I was trying to avoid drilling into the boat. I ended up ordering the one pictured above that goes into the seat base.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
At first, drilling into the boat gave me the willies, too. But I had to drill for the sonar transponder. After that it didn't bother me so much.

I'm sure the way you went will be good too.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Here's what I did. Mine are 3-rod holders, not 4. Mounted one on each side inside the motor well.

Looking pretty much down from above (motor is trimmed completely up):

And looking over the right side of the outboard at the left set of holders:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Strut,

Everyone tries to locate them out of the way and they usually end up in the way. That location you've found looks like the ideal place!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
If I do have to say so myself............

This setup has worked just GREAT for me. The tubes are just right for our big landing net, too. I have my VHF antenna mounted right there, too. All quick access but completely out of the way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would install another seat base as to not lose versatility of seating and having to move rod holder during trip if you were to go with your original idea!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yakattack13 said:
I would install another seat base as to not lose versatility of seating and having to move rod holder during trip if you were to go with your original idea!
True, I thought about that the other day.

I have 4 seats and 7 seat bases installed on the boat. The plan was to use the one @ the rear directly in front of the outboard on a raised platform as I have no intention of using that seat base for anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts