The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the green rocks just slag? Found pieces scattered up and down a stream along with some quartz.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never thought about slag. I was out fishing the allegheny river this year and there was ton and tons of green/whit/clear glass? I had just assumed it was lighting strikes making beach glass. I could be very wrong though. Haha

·
Registered
85 Posts
m-192 said:
Never thought about slag. I was out fishing the allegheny river this year and there was ton and tons of green/whit/clear glass? I had just assumed it was lighting strikes making beach glass. I could be very wrong though. Haha
The glass in the Allegheny is from PPG, they used to dump there glass where ever they could. In Ford City there are a TON of places where you can find all that glass

·
Registered
213 Posts
IGetThemAll said:
m-192 said:
The glass in the Allegheny is from PPG, they used to dump there glass where ever they could. In Ford City there are a TON of places where you can find all that glass
hmm thanks. I was fishing in ford city when I found all the glass. Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Spent many years working in the PPG Ford City plant, and lots of glass and other products went down river. Glad you posted the location, as soon as I read it, I was thinking Ford City, but many years ago there was probably other glass industries located along the Allegheny.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pennsylvania has no natural glass. Those specimens have a green color and glassy, vessicular texture that is characteristic of slag. The white rock indeed is quartz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts