The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Roadside Garden Stand Questions ??

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  troutbert 
#1 ·
Its another spring almost in the books and my garden is looking great cabbage leafs the size of tires radishes and red beets looking great and tomatoe plants are outgrowing the wire cages. Looking at it in the evening when im tending to it with my dog i find my self wondering what am i going to do with it all? I dont eat radishes watermelons pumpkins or eggplants and i still have pickles from past years. i just really enjoy growing stuff and want to expand my garden even more. most of my produce i actually give away to my mom grandparents and siblings but with my dad having his own garden grandfather starting to get into growing his own i find i will soon be eating tomato sandwiches alot. i can a fair amount of my harvest and freeze the rest but i can only eat some much. which brings me to the point when i was younger we used to sell alot of produce from the back of the farm truck along the road, it was my moms part time job along with raising two crazy boys. She still to this day complains about how she hates buy tomatoes from the local food store "tasteless and overpriced" as she says and i agree. So i got to thinking if i want to expand my garden maybe i could build a small stand for along the edge of the road by my house and run the honor system, beats loosing the harvest. But after reading the news article about the texas cop shutting down a 8 year old's lemonade stand because she didnt have a permit i realized i would probly need a permit wouldnt i? the article say the cop waived the 150$ fee but the girl would have to contact the city hall for the permit, they then told her she had to contact the health dept. because the lemonade stand would have to be able to ensure that bacteria wouldnt grow while she was selling it. the poor girl was just trying to raise money for fathers day. If thats the case does every little stand that has fresh produce with a tin for the money have to have a permit? i dont want to get a 150$ and have to then pay taxes on it if im only selling the surplus of my harvest. i doubt i would even make enough to cover the cost of building a small stand let alone the permit cost.

See less See more
#6 ·
I would think there would be very few townships that DID NOT require a permit to be honest. At least not in the more populated counties. Perhaps if you're "back in" Cameron/Potter, etc.... you could skate by without hassle. But not in a place like Wash. Co. They all want their cut.

#7 ·
How about "Free by donation"
About 60 yrs ago a guy wanted to have a restaurant in our area.Twp said no.He went ahead and served but no prices.Old milk can by the door was for donations.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.