The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is legal to road hunt a coonhound in Pa during this time of the year or any time the kill season is out during training season? Can't really find anything out in the book about this specifically. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
not legal to road a dog here.. BUT, if a guy had a wire cage in the bed of his truck and his hound just happens to strike a track from there ??? Can't control whats floating in the air and hits a dog right in the nose !!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I was going to ask what you meant by "road hunt"? If you mean to "rig" a dog, it is illegal. I don't know if there would be any problem with dropping a dog on a coon that you see while driving down a back road though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
"roading" means rigging from the truck bed or putting them in front of the truck while you drive 5-8 mph and they run on the road looking for a track in front. They do that alot in Ohio. I've been out there while guys do it, it sure is different. WV it is done alot in those wild mountains..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm talking about putting hound on the road out in front of the truck and driving behind it, 10 mph or so depending on the dog. The hound I have now don't know if it will rig, (stike off the truck box), but I have a cap on my truck so don't really try that much. I was talking about having the dog run in front of the truck till it hits a hot trail where a coon ran across the road. I can't really see what would be wrong with that this time of year, I'm not pursuing game to kill obviously, just looking for hot tracks to put my walker on. Feeders help with getting hot tracks but bears keep tearing them up, so looking for other options for this younger hound. Wayne, do you know anybody selling any pup trainers? I have a 2 yo walker that tracks well but hasn't completely figured out treeing yet, I prefer blue dogs really, but open to anything, if you happen to know of someone that has an older broke dog let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
several on the UKC board, no one parting with any money it seems. Then again alot of guys won't buy a dog until almost kill season and expect it to be a world beater.. No roading in Pa. anytime, PGC is so backward and boneheaded when it comes to hounds and hunting, they make me sick....

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Are you talking the dog is loose and running down the road and you're following it in the truck? Or a box on the front bumper with the dog in it till it opens??

If the dog is loose...is it illegal to follow via truck? ATV? Off road golf cart thing? The dog is still doing the hunting...the hunter is just being lazy and driving around...illegal? I don't know..

Is it illegal for me to be lazy and cut myndog loose and know its a lot less walking to drive to the next road to get closer to the tree?? I don't know...

I understand true rigging with rigging boxes in the front/rear etc is illegal...but your basically driving your dog around till it finds a track...

I doubt its legal to turn a dog loose on game you saw from the truck...that'd be road hunting for sure I'd imagine...

How many guys in deer and bear season on quads and off road golf carts have loaded guns?

I will be out with my walker tonight...I will turn him loose in a creek bottom and listen to the chase!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow mauser, your pretty tough....guess i am just lazy, although road hunting a coonhound is pretty popular in lots of other places, in some states that's about the only way people coon hunt, yes the dog will run in front of the truck while your driving, I guess dropping a coonhound or beagles in an area and sitting on the tailgate and listening to the music is lazy too, sorry bud, laziness has nothing to do with it, I'm not using a vehichle to hunt out of, or kill anything, just getting my hound some exercise and listening to a chase, nothing gets hurt (except for the occasional possum..dang dog anyhow) and my dog and I have some fun. In kill season I walk my dog in the woods if I choose to shoot a coon out that night, which often I don't, just like to run 'em and listen to the music and see a coon. I was just asking a legal question about hunting laws. Enjoy your hunt and be safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
You took my sarcasm wrong!! Hard to read read it through the text! Sorry!

Wasn't calling you lazy and was really asking unanswered questions that can seem pretty gray and fuzy depending on how the laws are read and who reads them....

I been running coon dogs most my life...I ain't foolish enough to walk through a block of woods when I can drive to the other side of it!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize, I re-read again and realized you were just talking of the gray areas. I got what you mean now, shouldn't have gotten defensive about it. It would be nice to know the answer to the question, I'd like to do some road running over the summer time here, at least before the corn comes up some more, but don't really want to break the law to do it if it is breaking the law, someone told me I could get in trouble doing it, but I don't really see how since i'm not gunning anything. Thanks an sorry again for the misunderstanding mauser.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually, there is no grey or fuzzy area in the law. It is illegal to use a motorized vehicle to locate or hunt wildlife.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of: (7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower.

Definition of hunt: "Hunt" or "hunting." Any act or furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to, chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at, including shooting at a game or wildlife facsimile, or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or the property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or aiding, abetting or conspiring with another person in that purpose.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
John S said:
Actually, there is no grey or fuzzy law. It is illegal to use a motorized vehicle to locate or hunt wildlife.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of: (7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower.

Definition of hunt: "Hunt" or "hunting." Any act or furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to, chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at, including shooting at a game or wildlife facsimile, or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or the property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or aiding, abetting or conspiring with another person in that purpose.
So according your statement above, the PGC seems to be overlooking the law in elk country. Most elk are located from the road, then the occupants get out of their vehicle and pursue on foot with personal property (a camera with flash).

In this situation there are only a few possible answers.

1. The WCO's do not know they law
2. The WCO's choose not to enforce the law
3. Its not against the law since noone is taking or attepting to take game.
4. There is a grey area, where a wco must use reasonable judgment.

I doubt its one or two.

Which one is it?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Well smart guy, these words in the law<span style="font-weight: bold">,"furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife,"</span> mean you need to be trying to take game, not photos of game to be in violation. It is not illegal to road a dog for training purposes and it certainly isn't illegal to drive around trying to follow an elk to take photos. So are you ignorant or just a wise guy? Which one?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
John S said:
"furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife," mean you need to be trying to take game, not photos of game to be in violation. It is not illegal to road a dog for training purposes and it certainly isn't illegal to drive around trying to follow an elk to take photos.
This right here, could have been said first, and saved everyone a lot of aggravation and answered the question.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Definition of hunt: "Hunt" or "hunting." Any act or furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to, chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at, including shooting at a game or wildlife facsimile, or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or the property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or aiding, abetting or conspiring with another person in that purpose. [/quote]

Wait a second here, doesn't it say "chasing or tracking" in that quote? So is it legal or illegal?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you are training no problem, at least with the game code. Good grief, I explained furtherance of the act a couple of posts back. Hunting is an entirely different story and not legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts