The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far from A public roadway do you have to be to set a trap? Are state forest roads considered public roadway?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Jake80 said:
How far from A public roadway do you have to be to set a trap? Are state forest roads considered public roadway?
1. No minimum distance. (As long as you are not within a Safety Zone)

2. Yes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You really don't want to set traps close to roads. People driving by will see your catch and either steal it or make a big deal out of it with whever owns the property. Trapping is an activity where you don't want your activities to be seen.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I agree with John....running down the road to check sets saves time...but, in a populated place you are asking for issues...even in less populated places chances are there are other trappers traveling that road...you can hope that they are all good people..but i dont take that risk...i found another trappers fisher cubby last year..he was road runnin....i had 3 sets in that draw..i het he had absolutely no idea i was there...i had to walk 50yds up a hill to check my 3....worth it to protect 50+$ worth of gear and potential cat and fisher..

I wouldnt thino about trapping on or near any hiking trails like the AT....too many dogs and people wandering it...

Just me...i go out of my way to my stuff...besides getting away from most peoples view...my traps are too dang expensive and lost fur hurts as well

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not Really talking about main roads or even paved roads, mostly forest roads, under a few bridges. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts