The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation, but coming into PA this morning on 84W, between the NY line at Mattamoras and about 24 miles inland, I counted 33 roadkills. Now this was just on the WB side, and only bodies I could see. Is that a lot for this time of year? That's over 1/mile. I expect that for the Fall during the rut, but did not expect to see this many. I also knew that the majority of the land in that area that borders the highway is posted. Can't see the signs now, but they are evident when leaves are off the trees.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Deer really get hammered in May. A lot of deer on the move, as last year's fawns are pushed away from does, and deer disperse to new areas. I think that there's a lot of tender green grass near the roadways too.

·
Administrator
14,637 Posts
The RK along that part of I-84 is normal.

That part of 84 from the Delaware River to the Matamoras exit has a high RK count all year long.

After the Matamoras exit going WB a neighboring hunt club has that property all the way to MM 50.5.

From MM 50.5 - 47.6 WB including the other side going EB all that property is land that I hunt and help patrol with 3 friends of mine.

Nothing unusual about the RK along that stretch.

In fact there are 4 RK in the WB lane and 3 over in the EB lane.

If you continue westbound past the Milford exit a lot of that land belongs to private summer camps,communities and private landowners.

Past that you have a bunch of land on both sides that is the Deleware State Forest,SGL's and the Blooming Grove Hunt Club.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Does push out last year's offspring when they drop this year's fawns. Normal to see a spike in roadkill. I just saw a fawn on the side of the road. Couldn't have been more than a week old. Hate to see that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Until pendot stops dumping salt on the roads,more deer will be killed by vehicles than hunters. They are baiting the roads.

·
Administrator
14,637 Posts
Boatman said:
Until pendot stops dumping salt on the roads,more deer will be killed by vehicles than hunters. They are baiting the roads.
Yep the section from 50.5 -47.9 gets lots of salt on it because it's all uphill going through CumminsHill Gap.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info. Only saw 3 on the same stretch EB. But saw a lot everywhere else while travelling. Hate to see it.. some were very small... sad..

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I saw allot of roadkills today from Ft. Littleton to Valley Forge, even saw a doe and a fawn right next to each other dead on the Shoulder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On Rt. 78 West from Bethlehem to Harrisburg I lost count of the number of road kill deer. Heavy road kill in Berks Co. That was just one side.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I live in that area, but when I just went to Johnstown over the weekend....once I got past 81 and on 80 going west there were no RK's ??....

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
RK's are almost very few and far between most of the winter months here in SW after hunting season. Then, as soon as late March you start seeing a few, April a bit more, then by May and into early June, it's a slaughterhouse down here. And of course, lapses off through the summer until rut gears up. Happens every single year like clock-work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts