The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I pick-up small game from the road for coyote bait? I would like to use rabbits and squirrels for a bait station. I know deer is okay, have done so and received a permit number. Thank you.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No you may not.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Simple, there is no provision in the law to allow it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Prime road kill coon is worth the same as prime trapped coon (if not mangled too bad). Unfortunately next to nothing this year.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Raccoon isnt small game.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Of course there is, that would be the reason I answered his question with no, according to the law. A question was asked, I assume he wanted the real answer, not one that would make everyone feel good, it was answered, can't help if you don't like the answer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What does that have to do with a road killed animal?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
What does that have to do with a road killed animal?
I think what he is trying to get at is...

Instead of picking up road killed small game..

Just drive around, when you see a rabbit, squirrel or other small game critter, just

Stop, Shoot, Shut up

·
Registered
755 Posts
John S said:
Of course there is, that would be the reason I answered his question with no, according to the law. A question was asked, I assume he wanted the real answer, not one that would make everyone feel good, it was answered, can't help if you don't like the answer.
I asked a simple question as well but in your usual condescending manner you replied like you did.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Laws tell you what is illegal.....not what is legal.

There are laws about illegally taking game, but I haven't found one that makes what the OP wants to do, illegal.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Not trying to be insulting... but if I didn't kill the critter, only found it...?
But I notice there is a big hole in your post, RWJ... that would be keeping roadkill vension. If justice were truly blind, anyone hitting a critter - whether they keep it or not - would be violating this section... as it is written, IMO, allows for the amibiguity that the State thrives on.

IIRC, one can apply for a permit to keep found roadkill game. I think it is a permit PER CRITTER, not a permit to be a road cleaner... lol

If you are looking for coyote bait, pick up deer carcasses... you need to phone them in, but there are no fees associated with it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
and before anyone says it.... "but i didnt hit it with my vehicle, so why cant i pick it up? " - it was "taken unlawfully" therefore possession of said animal or part would also be unlawful

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
beat ya by 10 seconds... lol

1 - 20 of 57 Posts