The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading another post about deer being hit on roads , a possible thought about usage may just be possible . Now , I did'nt thuroughly think this out . I just wanted to through it out there for the specific people that deal with this every day ( Shelter Agencies & PGC ) . Would it be possible ( monitarily ) for a donation of say $20 -30 per deer , to whomever would handle said deer . To have it delivered to homeless shelters ? I realize it would be a case to case judgement call on how badly the deer was damaged , but knowing how many people are out of work & homeless in Pa. , it seems like such a waste of a valuable resourse . Or would the money donation for each deer be better utilized by a shelter run by people that better understand whats needed ? It's just a thought . Is it possible ?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I believe there is a problem with donating deer meat to a facility. Years ago the GC could not give them venison because it wasn't "inspected" (I think a local was the official meat supplier and got his nose bent out of shape) The GC can now give venison to individuals without any problem. IF donated to Hunters sharing the harvest it gets cut up and processed and given to individuals/familys. No facilities/institutions.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 47 . I kind of figured if it was possible , our good hearted sportsmen in Pa. would already be doing it .

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Back in the late eighties a WCO would bring my friend a road kill every once in a while for him to butcher for his own use.I even heard restaraunts can,t even hand out free food at the end of the day to shelters anymore legally.That,s a shame.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
good ole boy said:
Back in the late eighties a WCO would bring my friend a road kill every once in a while for him to butcher for his own use.I even heard restaraunts can,t even hand out free food at the end of the day to shelters anymore legally.That,s a shame.
To go along those same lines...I'm very active in my son's school, and with Michelle obama's new lunch program, kids get everything offered that day, even if they don't want it, then it goes into the trash...what a waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts