The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone members of the RMEF?

I was thinking about joining but didn't know much about the organization as a whole or at the local level.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I was a member of RMEF for many years. I quit when they allowed their highest bib Elk permits to be purchased by serial game violators.

Reactions: Z71K9

·
Registered
430 Posts
I belong, I have so many address labels from them I would have to mail out 5,000 letters a yr for the rest of my life to use them all, lol They need to use the money from them to put back into the organization.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I maintain a membership, and it's worth it for me just for getting their Bugle magazine... some of the finest writing out of all the rags I get. I will also attest to the vast amounts of address labels they send out (I use up a lot of them for gun raffle tickets), and agree they could ease up on the promo materials to keep funds going where it ought to, but that's mostly true for all the bigger organizations out there. Seems like they have a focus on public land aquisition and maintenance, which is certainly a noble pursuit.

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys. I want to do something to support the local herd and the efforts in PA, especially since now I live in the range. It sound like KECA is the way to go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
RMEF spends plenty of money in the PA elk range. They provide funding to the PGC and DCNR through their grant program and they donate 100% of the Gov. tag proceeds back to the PGC. They are also very active in protecting elk habitat across the west. They purchase properties that provide access to public lands as well as important habitat. Migration corridors and winter range are areas they focus on. If I could only belong to one conservation organization it would be RMEF.

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
The RMEF does spend a fair amount of money on elk habitat and other projects across the elk range of the United States, including in Pennsylvania.

KECA also spends a great deal on habitat in Pennsylvania. The difference between the two organizations is that 100% of what KECA spends money on is to benefit the future for the Pennsylvania elk herd, education and the interests of Penna. hunters and other elk enthusiasts.

Both are good organizations that provide benefits to our local elk but I still lean heavier toward spending my money in support of KECA.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
697 Posts
RMEF does a lot for public land and access across the country. KECA is also a great organization for PA Elk. I have been a member of the RMEF for few years and always support KECA when I can. You can not go wrong with either of these two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Backwoods, take a look at the KECA web site and the local banquets that are now taking place. With the admission price of the banquet, you get dinner and the price of admission also gets you a years membership into the Keystone Elk Country Alliance, KECA. The banquets are another way of participating in KECA and the chance of winning some neat prizes. They have silent auctions, live auctions and raffle tickets. It is also a good way to meet the other members and also meet Rawley Cogan the CEO of KECA.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Belong to both KECA and RMEF. Both great organizations. RMEF membership worth it for magazine alone. Hard to find a quality magazine that matches it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I suport both KECA and RMEF plus Ducks unlimited and wild sheep organization their are lots of great wildlife conservation groups that deserve and need our help
And do believe you start at home first if you can only suport 1
One way to give also is the great raffles these groups do every year yes its a slim chance but getting an elk or a sheep tag for 25 or 100 buck is like hitting the lottery esp when sheep hunts are 60 grand these days

1 - 20 of 21 Posts