The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around the idea of building a flintlock. My favorite handling gun was the RMC, but we all know the story there now. Does anyone make a kit with quality components (green mountain barrel, l&r lock, etc) that RMC built their guns with? I've been told that assembling one isn't to difficult. I'm thinking bout making the jump.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
May have trouble finding the Green Mountain barrel---Thy stopped producing them a while back and I have since heard they are no longer around??
Good luck though
Dave

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
cooperstown trading post will most likely have a green mnt barrel for you since you live western pa try himif you need a phone # let me know

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i was just looking at there site and if i understand it right RMC is out of busness it must have just happened maybe iam reading it wrong if i am let me know

·
Registered
868 Posts
yep, they're out of business. Their inventory was purchased by a chap that opened his doors as Cox gun shop.

Cox's Gun Shop. 230 East Main Street. Millheim, PA 16854. phone (814) 349 - 5111. email: [email protected]

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually sent an email to the new owner and they don't seem to have any plans on building guns anytime soon. Thats partially the reason I am looking at assembling my own. Who all makes stock blanks and good trigger assemblies? The thing I really liked about RMC is the fit, fiber optic sights, quality components with no frills. I'm not a real big fan on steel buttplates, and bronze plates. I'm not degrading that stuff just isn't something I appreciate, I guess.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
you could contact any custom gun maker that you want. They can do what ever that you want them to. You are the costomer and you are always right. Any gun maker should be able to make the gun that you want. Most are used to makeing the long rifles, but I don't see why they can make one like the RMC that you are looking for

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Crackshot, you have the right idea. Quality lock, triggers and barrel make the gun. The wood, and furniture is just looks. If you want a shorter barrel gun, having a straight octagon barrel isn't as important. If you want a longer gun, an oct. to round or tapered or swamped barrel can be surprisingly light and balanced. A precarved stock can have the lock 95% inlet along with about 95% of the barrel channel too. If you are interested in a short modern style hunter, a patent or hooked breech is probably something to consider. There are dozens of folks selling stocks, and parts.

I agree that it is surprising that someone hasn't tried to step into the RMC shoes. Between the economy and the number of folks going with traditional long guns, I guess the demand simply isn't there. I looked into attempting a small run of flint single barrel smooth bore shotguns, and between components, etc, (shot gun barrels are more expensive) it just didn't seem viable at the time. As for a straight octagon, rifle barrel it might be. My thoughts were to sell assembled guns in the white, ready to be finished by the customer, but capable of being shot out of the box.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I've been considering is what caliber. I've been leaning towards a 50 cal, and shooting sabots. If I'm gonna build something I want quality components throughout. I've just been considering what I'm gonna get into the whole deal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will be a hunting gun. I'll play around with it on the bench, but I'm not going to any muzzleloader shoots with it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
then a1;66 twist for rb or 1;23or1;48 ror sabots half stock /or full stock a nice l/r lock //davis triggers the rest is up to you

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Green mountain octagon 15/16 or 1" fast twist barrel blanks don't exist any longer so I am not sure what you would get to make a flinter in fast twist. RMC used L&R components and they are all still available on the L&R website. RMC used a Late English lock (nice lock by the way), short bar
single trigger and the L&R escuchions (sp?)

If it were me doing it I would use a hooked patent breech system that would be switch barrel capable for fast and slow twist barrels as well as smoothbores. A long swamped barreled model would be pretty much unique for a production type gun. If you use good components and don't go overboard on price you could build a bit of a business over time.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
My Chambers Early York is on the way. Speaking frankly, I am somewhat concerned about the stock carving. Been practicing and I am not real convinced about my capabilities. But I know that my goal is to build a shooter and the carving is a distant second. Still, I want it to be presentable and something I can be proud of. Gonna' keep it simple.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts