The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I came across some garbage that someone had thrown in a recycling container at our Township building. While looking for names, I came across a bag and some boxes that contained a rather large collection of old Game News and Fur-Fish & Game magazines. Also in the box were records from the owner who recently passed away. These possessions belonged to a local taxidermist as well as a Deputy Game Protector. Lots of old Game Commission correspondance / mail and policy like forms dating back into the 60's.

Among the items were these two pictures of the RLSC in Brockway. With the recent talk of the new WCO class starting up, I thought that I would post these pictures.

Maybe some of the Brockway graduates can describe the pictures for us.....

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Looks like what may be a late 1930s Buick or Olds, in the second picture.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The first picture is the building that contained the superintendant's office, kitchen, dinning hall and lounge downstaire and barracks upstairs. this is the first building you came to when you got to the end of the lane. There is another building behind it that is the classroom downstairs and barracks upstairs. The second picture is of the field that had the shooting ranges for the school. The buildings are just on the other side of those conifer trees. Brings back good memories.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Russ,
Not sure if you were interested in keeping those photos and what not, but I think that they would be fine additions to the shadow boxes that line the halls of RLSC in Harrisburg. The Deputy Exectutive Director, Mike Schmit is overseeing any and all historical records or the PGc RLSC and WCO....may be worth contacting him if you are willing to part ways with any of it for history sake! Nice find!!!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Dont even have to part with the Photos, Duplicates can be made, and I would pay for them

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The three guys in the second pic are John S, RSB, John W.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I still remember walking up to the front of that building and the Superintendent of training, Jim Williams, was standing there in his Marine DI hat scowling out from under the brim to greet us. There were 30 of us that day, the following monday there were 29. Too bad that school is gone, a much better environment for training than HBG.

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Yeah, but without a mall or a McDonald's down the road and A/C, who amongst today's young'uns would want to go there now?

Although, I've heard ya could get pizza up there, if you knew where and how to find it?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I would have rather attended there. Much more history. And far removed from the forbidden zone.( that what we called the other side of the building, we were not allowed over there. and if you got called over there it was NEVER a good thing.)

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You could on Wednsday nights when you were allowed to go to town for a few hours. It was a uch better place for training, everything was there and the brass was no breathing down your neck. The food was prepared from scratch by three women from town who knew how to cook. I still remember cherries delight, a speciality of Mrs. Adams.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
DennyF said:
Yeah, but without a mall or a McDonald's down the road and A/C, who amongst today's young'uns would want to go there now?

Although, I've heard ya could get pizza up there, if you knew where and how to find it?

It seems that you have heard some of the Friday night pizza run stories.

I highly suspect you heard them from the head of the Training School and also that he still remembers how to get from Brockway to that favorite of all pizza places too. I could tell a few pretty good stories about some of those Friday night pizza excursions when those of use that called the Training School home on the weekends were on our own for weekend meals. The current Superintendent of Training was one of four of us that made that Friday night pizza excursion a ritual. In fact he was usually the one driving on the trip down there and back.

You can tell him that I’ll try to be careful not to tell too many of those stories about his Training School days to the cadets though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
You can tell him that I’ll try to be careful not to tell too many of those stories about his Training School days to the cadets though.

Dick Bodenhorn
Mum's the word. Guessing he's already "pre-graded" a few of his new victims charges, based on their performance here?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
it was my intention to go to that school after graduating high school. when the moved it my senoir year i decided not to persue that path. there are days i do regret that decision

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some other old pictures from the Brockway RLSC taken by the same individual. I knew I had a few more, but could locate them until today. If anyone would like me to e-mail you a reproduced/scanned image, please send me a PM and I would be happy to so.

I'm not sure that this last one was taken at the Game Commission School or not. But it is interesting and was with the others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts