The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about hitting the Allegheny River this weekend looking for some walleyes.

I've never fished the river any later than Labor Day or so.

Any tips on where I should start looking ?? There's a dam with the turbulence and swirls below it. There is water from 3-5 foot deep runs of good current below the dam to 40-50 foot deep dredge holes. There's a bridge with big pilings. There's a large creek coming in. There's flat water from 10-20 feet deep.

Where would be the best place(s) to look first ?? Figuring on jigging or drifting minnows.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The same locations that produce in the spring will also produce in the fall.

The first mile below dams, creek mouths, inside seams on river bends, channel edges, industrial discharges and bridge piers would all be good locations to start. Use your electronics to find the bait and the eyes won't be far away. Just be advised that there will be a lot of interference on your screen directly downstream from the dams due to the turbulence, so fishing in those areas will be more trial and error than anything.

I fish the lower Allegheny for eyes pretty frequently, so if you have any more specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts