The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently I have a 16 foot aluminum john boat with a 60 jet, side console in the rear. I would like to change to a different boat but having difficulty finding one in our area of central PA or on the web. I am looking for a 16-18 foot aluminum john boat and will use my existing motor HOWEVER, I want one with the console as far forward as possible. I am a big guy so the existing boat has trouble getting up on plane. I thought sitting forward rather in the rear would make the boat run better and I could see better. I am having trouble finding a supplier and would appreciate your direction if you should know one. Also are their any issues concerning a forward console that I do not know about. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A lot of companies have them as options these days. Are you looking to buy new or used? If you went with a 18 you will want more motor most likely. I have a 17' g3 Center Console, not the forward console though, and a 90/65 on it, and I wouldn't want less motor. With jets it's all about weight distribution, so you're defeinitely on the right path. As far as new boats, G3 has a nice line of CCJ (forward center console jet boats), and I know a few other companies have em. You'll probably find that most forward CC boats will be tunnel hulls as well. I saw a nice duracraft for sale in the Lancaster area not too long ago, but it's a complete package.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much lwrsusq for your reply. Do you have a tunnel hull? Any issues with a tunnel hull? I use my boat on the Susq up by Danville and the only issue I really have with a jet motor is those dead leaves in the fall floating down the river and clogging up the input. How wide is boat? Do you suggest a width? Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.
Kapaa

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I do not have a tunnel hull. They allow you to run shallower, and for that area that is definitely a plus. I run mine all the way from Annapolis up through the Juniata. I chose not to go with a tunnel hull so that I can handle rough water a little better. Tunnels tend to cavitate more in chop, and on the bay I encounter that a lot obviously. Having said that, I have shattered my jet foot on a rock already, and done some other damage to it, so it goes both ways. Mine is a 1756, and I love the size of it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
KapaaPA said:
Presently I have a 16 foot aluminum john boat with a 60 jet, side console in the rear. I would like to change to a different boat but having difficulty finding one in our area of central PA or on the web. I am looking for a 16-18 foot aluminum john boat and will use my existing motor HOWEVER, I want one with the console as far forward as possible. I am a big guy so the existing boat has trouble getting up on plane. I thought sitting forward rather in the rear would make the boat run better and I could see better. I am having trouble finding a supplier and would appreciate your direction if you should know one. Also are their any issues concerning a forward console that I do not know about. Thanks much.
Just a question. Is your outboard 60 at the jet or a 60 hp head? I have a 16 foot Tracker Grizzly, front and back decks which I installed, 24 volt trolling motor, 3 batteries total, and a tiller 40/30 jet. My boat easily gets on plane and runs 28-29 mph with me alone, 22-24 with 2 guys. I weigh 170.
if it is a 60 at the jet, could your motor not be set in an optimal position to achieve proper performance. I'd think a 60 jet should easily plane a 16 foot boat. I've also owned a Lowe 1652 VPT with a 35 jet and 1852 VPT with an 80 jet and both would easily plane with 1 guy. The 1852 would plane with 3 guys and a load of gear. Both of those boats were side console.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If your not set on the idea of a new boat you could always buy a new console and have it rigged into ur existing boat. I'm sure that would be considerably cheaper than a new body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts