The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been hunting a local river, not one of the big 3. Each morning when we motor to our spot we see a lot of ducks (mallards) in the dark like 200+. Normaly we continue down stream to a weed bed to set up and may have a single or small flock decoy. Today we saw them again and about center of the large raft we split them and set up. Saw a few center of the river witch took off at LST and went up river. That was it except for a few mergs and if I can't eat them I won't shoot them. The area for this large raft of birds seems to be consistant so what should I do? Set up above them and hope to deek some in as they always seem to go up river when they leave or consider it a roost a forget it?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
if you spook the birds off there roost they will not come back. let them leave on there own and the go set up where they were and wait. they will be back.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go there some morning without a gun and watch them. Watch where they fly too, if it is a spot you can hunt than be there when they come back to roost, again watch where they want to be when they come back. Once you have figured it out, go kill them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
One of the oldest tricks in the book is scattering them in the dark and setting up on the roost. Problem for most guys is, the earlier the day before you do it, the better. We're talking 11 pm or midnight. We have a roost/loaf spot that we saw a large group at the days leading up to the reopener after the split this year. We rowed to it at midnight, kicked out 80 or so mallards and woodies and tossed decoys. Then we went home and back to sleep. We went back at 430 to an empty hole. My buddy Bill was beside himself, thinking we ruined it. Then at first light, the first 4 came back, then 4 more. Then it was LST. Then 3 more came and we whacked 2, plus two that flushed. We smacked 4 each and called it a day so not to educate the rest of the flock. Scattering them in the dark well before LST serves a couple purposes. When they take off in fear, they don't all stick together in the dark, which puts shootable size groups in your face. I told my buddy, who had the idea we should give em a 1 2 3 SHOOT! Thing, we should jjust leave the decoys in the truck, because after we do it, none are going to come back. He knew that wasn't going to happen with me, but he had a real problem scaring them off. The other good thing, when done early enough in the night, by the time 6 hours passes, they've all but forgotten about that snapping or coughing that sent them skyward. The want to regroup with the flock... where does the flock meet at? Yep, roost. It isn't foolproof, but it works far more often than not and certainly much, much better than a scare near sunrise. They're like roosters, they know when the sun will be up. You'll just send them off to the feed spot an hour early.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts