The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Rising crime rates...

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  DennyF 
#1 ·
#2 ·
todays paper had a even better article explaining that. quoted the local DA and talked about our county crime rate. I would post it but the "morning times" doesnt put articles up on web site till day after paper comes out.....maybe renny will put it up when he goes to work(put his time in) tonight....

#3 ·
Thomas is also looking into solutions such as having bars close earlier, enforcing loitering laws and imposing a curfew on adults.
Is this guy nutz?

Or better yet would the citizens of the area be just as nutz tolerating him for considering such moves?

Development in an area bring in people...crime goes up because of that....deal with it and hire more cops to handle it.

#7 ·
Spent some time in the sticks last weekend. Ended up in a motel bar with a DJ in the middle of driller country. I been to this place quite a few times over the years so kind of familiar with things. My observation was the drillers were not the main source of the problem.

Yes, they party pretty hard to unwind...drinking, dancing, having a good time. I spent some time on the road myself so I know how it goes.

What I saw that appeared to be the crux of the headaches were the local females. These driller guys had the money to throw around buying drinks and such; and the local gals were eating it up, which in the end the local guys were not happy about.

#9 ·
1trueamerican said:
that is a problem that is not related to drilling but is as old as man himself...
This is true....but the potential problems I observed were because of the locals. Only problem I have with the drillers is they are driving motel prices through the roof. I have an invite to help intoduce some people to archery comming up next month....volunteer stuff. I am not sure I can justify $125 a night in the middle of nowhere in PA.

#12 ·
Renny28 said:
So the local girls are the problem.... hmmm.. maybe you should run for mayor!
Nope...the gals are the crux of the problem. The problem is more related to the inadequacies of the local men. Mix in some beer muscles and the fun begins.

#13 ·
timberdoodle said:
Interesting you blame the drillers for high motel rates; do you blame the motorists for high gasoline prices?
Spend a fair amount of time in motels in the course of a year....maybe 60 nights or so. I am a platinum elite member for one hotel chain. I have stayed in motels up in your neck of the woods as recent as last year. I can tell you without doubt the prices have been inflated about 30% since then. Check out motel rates for Bradford PA....$100 for a night during the week? .... last year I stayed at that Comfort Inn for 69 bucks.

#15 ·
SigPro2340 said:
I am a platinum elite member for one hotel chain.
The problem is more related to the inadequacies of the local men.

you should make a point of pointing theese things out to the locals next time your in a local gin mill, i'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts

#16 ·
I much more prefer a room with a king sized bed and jacuzzi.
That is pretty much the norm.....I enjoy my comforts.
Which reminds me....I need to book a room for this weekend in Cambria County.

#17 ·
Ehhh....The locals don't bother me none...ain't my fault they get upset over their women. I am from an urban area and spending money hand over fist in a night club is pretty much the norm when socializing. I reckon the women out there just found out a six-pack and a couple of deer chops on the grill just ain't as romantic as it used to be.

#18 ·
buzz said:
SigPro2340 said:
I am a platinum elite member for one hotel chain.
The problem is more related to the inadequacies of the local men.

you should make a point of pointing theese things out to the locals next time your in a local gin mill, i'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts

Grab a bar stool in the Tammarack and let them have it..... Those local guys are always up there bullying us poor north east guys. They want their wings cooked, pizza hot and beer cold....what do I look like?

#22 ·
These driller out of town hunter guys had the money to throw around buying drinks and such; and the local gals were eating it up, which in the end the local guys were not happy about.
There, fixed that for ya. Of course the hunters are only there for a brief period of time each year, while they're gonna be stuck with them rowdy drillers for years?

#23 ·
DennyF said:
These driller out of town hunter guys had the money to throw around buying drinks and such; and the local gals were eating it up, which in the end the local guys were not happy about.
There, fixed that for ya. Of course the hunters are only there for a brief period of time each year, while they're gonna be stuck with them rowdy drillers for years?

#24 ·
Been years since I was down at the Permastone near Galeton around deer season time, but recall how crazy that place got. Same deal. Gin mill full of hunters with money to spend and beers to buy, tensions with the local lads and wimmin.

Doesn't even have to involve wimmin and booze?

One year right before buck season, the hardware/gun shop was shoulder to shoulder as it normally is then, so I went to another store for something I needed at camp.

I stopped down the road a bit farther at the Western Auto and a local feller was in there cussin' up a storm, about how they don't care about the locals up there at Ackley's, when they have a store full of flatlanders with money to spend.

The WA clerk and I knew each other, so when the grumbler gave me the evil eye and made another flatlander comment obviously directed at me, told Bob the clerk that I'd try to get outta there before I caused a riot.

#26 ·
It's hard to pin these increases directly on the gas industry, given a lack of statistics. Local and regional residents - regardless of where they are employed make up the majority of the Towanda state police station's caseload, said Barrett.

"We have more people, therefore we have more problems," Barrett said. "Many of the gas workers have local addresses. Many local people are working in the gas industry."
Pretty much how that always works out? If 1% of the population is prone to cause problems and you have more people now, than a few years ago, that 1% now means a higher number of dummies to contend with.

Who wouldn't have projected that higher populations wouldn't have eventually amounted to an increae in problems?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.